Drain for new sink - connect to existing drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbspartx

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to connect a 1 1/2 drain for a new sink to my existing plumbing.

I think I can connect the new drain line to the existing 2" drain line for the bathtub (which I'm assuming should have its own vent) with a wye as shown in the attached sketch. The new sink drain line would have an air admittance valve because I can't tie into any of the existing vents.

I'd be running the new drain line through the open web floor joists so I won't have to cut any framing or anything. I'd use a long sweep elbow for the 90 deg bend shown in the sketch or try to reroute it with 2 45 deg elbows instead of the one 90 deg bend

Can someone tell me if this will work (and perhaps be generally code compliant?) as long as I slope the new drain pipe properly (1/4 inch/ft)? From what I can tell researching online, it is okay to have both the tub and new sink on the existing 2" drain line.

Thanks

1655290273910.png

Great, good to hear my plan is do-able. And just so I understand, the drain would still be considered wet vented because the air admittance valve on the new sink doesn't technically qualify as venting?

I haven't actually seen it but I'm pretty sure the tub has a vent that connects to the main vent coming off the 3" drain line.

Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back