Drain Field Failure?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowByker

Reaction score
I found effluent reaching the surface of my back yard. It's reaching the surface at a specific point, then running downhill.

A professional septic company diagnosed a failure of the drain field. They determined I need a new drain field and a new septic tank. My septic tank is functioning normally, but there is some sort of code issue that requires a new tank if I replace the drain field.

Their estimate is 10K if the drain field can remain in my back yard, 14k if it needs to be relocated uphill to my front yard. I have a stream at the back of my property, about 100 yards from the current drain field, down a steep slope.

I'm not confident in their diagnosis, so I'm here seeking opinions.

The effluent reaching the surface is at a point that's uphill of most of the drain field. The amount coming out appears to be less than what's going into the tank. They said that its is near end of the drain field, but records indicate the drain field terminates several yards away from where the effluent appears.

My house has 4 bedrooms. My septic tank is 1500 gal according to records filed with the county in '74. Septic company thought it was 1000 gal.

I suspect my septic system has been in the current condition for many months. I've smelled the effluent on occasion, but only recently discovered where it reaches the surface. The smell increases when i have guests in town so it's related to use.

What do you think is going on?

If it's reaching the top that means tank is full and needs to be pumped. How often it fills up determines if the drain field is bad or not. For example if you pump your tank out once a year that's a good indication your drain field is no good and needs to be replaced as well as the tank. The tank should only be storing solids which should last a long time before pumping several years. So depending on how fast your tank is filling determines if it's a correct diagnostic. Which at first glance seems like it is. Just like everything else drain fields do not last forever

Thanks for the response. I didn't get any indication from the from the folks who inspected the system that the tank was full, or needed to be pumped. According to them, the tank is behaving normally. There isn't any fluid coming up at the tank. I'd say the fluid reaching the surface was about 40 feet away from it.

Does that make any difference?

If there is an issue with the the drain field piping either being broken or collapsed that could be causing it. My best advice would be if your worried about first companies diagnostic you should get a couple other opinions and estimates. How old is the system if it's up there in age that would be another reason for entire replacement for your benefit

You need to contact your area's inspector for department of health/sanitation. Different states have different names for the department. Once you contact them, you can ask if a good septic tank actually has to be replaced if the drain field is bad (I'm suspecting that was BS, but only because I know it doesn't hold true for my area-- usually they only make you replace the part that is not working and if your septic tank is up-to-code and sufficient in size, it doesn't make sense for them to make you replace it).

You can ask the health inspector for a list of licensed septic tank/field line installers in your area (mine gave me a printout for multiple counties because there weren't any in my own county). Sometimes the official website for the Dept of Health/Sanitation will list any contractors who had recent violations in their history and what the violations were for.

Do you mind if I ask what state you are in? Might be able to try to look up some of the rules for your area that way or maybe someone here will be familiar with the laws.

The inspector will have to come out and look at things and will have you do a percolation test (sometimes just called perc test) to check the soil's rate of draining. Then the inspector will determine the length of field line you need.

I had to get my stuff replaced because my tank was insufficient for a 3-bedroom house and the field lines were done all wrong. I ended up having to run my lines in a different direction and used a different type of line-- instead of the perforated PVC, I got Infiltrator Systems. It comes in 2' wide 4' long sections that snap together and can curve around. It ended up costing less than the PVC would have.

I'm in Fulton County, GA. I've called another company seeking a second opinion. They suggested I start by contacting the county health department to see what records they have. I gave them a call. They said that someone would contact me. When they do, I'll be sure to ask about codes calling for tank replacement. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, that's my county health services department. I gave them a call. The person I spoke with took my contact information and said someone would contact me.

Latest posts

Back