drain clogged or vent issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanwks

Reaction score
Glad to join a forum like this, hopefully can get some help, as I'd like to fix this myself if possible.

We recently (~8mo) purchased a single-story house built in 1956 on a concrete slab (no basement). A few weeks ago, our master bath toilet began struggling to flush. Also, any actual flushing would be accompanied by a sewage smell coming from the washing machine floor drain about 30ft away.

We had one of those chain plumbers come out. He ran a camera down the cleanout, about 30ft outside of the bathroom. Couldn't find any water anywhere after going about 40ft. Ran the camera down the washer floor drain (where the sewer smell would come from) about 20ft, and hit water starting a couple of feet down. Didn't see anything else of interest. Then he ran an auger down the toilet about 8-10ft. Hit water but nothing else. Same for when he ran it down the shower trap. From there, they wanted $400 to pull the toilet. Since I could do that for free in 3 minutes, and his visit was free since they couldn't unclog it, that was the end of that.

Since then I've done the following (in order):
  • -Removed the toilet. There is standing water starting about 6-8in down the drain.
  • -Ran an auger down the toilet drain about 20ish feet. Eventually hit something, but it's likely just a bend I couldn't get around.
  • -Sent "Main Line Cleaner" down the toilet drain. Followed the instructions and read up on it prior to using. Let it sit for about a day, and the water level dropped about 4". Directions said to flush with hot water, and after doing that it returned to the original level.
  • -Climbed up on the roof and ran an auger about 10-15ft down the air vent. The length would put it right around toilet level in the bathroom. Hit water about 3ft above that, then hit some sort of obstruction (or bend) that I couldn't remove.
  • -Used a garden hose bladder in the air vent. Didn't seem to make a difference. The vent is 3", and the bladder I got said 1-3", but it had some movement in it, so it's likely not big enough.

I bought the bigger bladder, but I'm waiting out some weather before I can climb back on the roof.

The sink and tub in the same room drain perfectly fine. We have another full bath where all fixtures work fine, and a half bath where both the toilet and sink drain perfectly fine.

Something interesting, though: in the bath with the toilet problem, if I turn on the sink and tub and watch the toilet drain, the standing water in it rises about 2-4", but that's all. It's like it's draining just enough but can't drain everything, and will never actually overflow.

Since we recently bought the house, I'm honestly not familiar with the details of where the plumbing is going. The stuff I can see appears to be PVC. If the answer is "have someone come fix it", so be it (probably going to try the bigger bladder first regardless).

I know this is a lot to digest, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Oh, also important:

The very first thing I did was plunge the toilet for about an hour. No luck.

Also, if we fill up the tub and let it drain, the toilet (when it was still in place) would gurgle. When it didn't flush, it would fill up and slowly drain down to almost nothing. This is what made me suspect the air vent in the first place.

In many cases the sink/tub and the toilet run out of the house in separate drain lines. I'm not sure what kind of drain snake you are using but ensure it is professional grade and has a 3" cutting head. there are most likely 2 vents on the roof an (1 1/2"-2") and a 3" you want to be in the 3" vent. Be patient with the equipment. Once past the bends and turns of the drain line, work the clog slowly as not to kink your cable or destroy the drain line. A very good chance that you have tree roots in the main sewer line. Once complete with cleaning the drain line use drain line root killer to prevent this in the future.

"phishfood removed links"

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters running your sink and seeing water level fill in toilet drain with toilet pulled is a common occurrence. Some standing water SOME is normal if everything is draining. My direction would be this. Take a 5 gallon bucket an dump it down the toilet while it's set to floor and see if it drains. A toilet it designed to take all that water with out over flowing. If it does not and it just sits there u know for sure its a clog. If not and it does take all the water the issue is the toilet. All that needs to be done is replace the toilet. This is a common occurrence with older toilets. Also laundry floor Drains are known for traps drying out. Check and see if there is water in it. If not that's why you are getting gas from there. Old trick to help keep trap from drying out is to pour water in the add some cooking oil on top to prevent the evaporation

After washing clothes make sure clean everything that may get stuck into the pipes, flush a a lot of water and clean all the fixtures.

So let me get this straight your plumber did all that investigative work and then you didn't want him to continue and then you didn't pay him/the firm a cent!? Ouch-make note if you call my company we can't make it to yours. But yeah sounds like there could be a venting issue. Remember always use a licensed plumber!

So let me get this straight your plumber did all that investigative work and then you didn't want him to continue and then you didn't pay him/the firm a cent!? Ouch-make note if you call my company we can't make it to yours. But yeah sounds like there could be a venting issue. Remember always use a licensed plumber!
I don't understand. The firms policy was 'no charge' if they don't clear the line, not the customer's request. A lot of companies do this as a way in the door to upsell the job or be the first on scene to propose a replacement, if needed.
It also is clearly not a venting issue and the thread is over a month old. C'mon y'all.:rolleyes:Lol.

Back