Drain Clean Out Plug Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnathanPalomares

Reaction score
Today i had to remove one of the clean out plugs from the drain coming from my toilet to remove a block. In the process, i actually removed the fitting from which the plug went into and noticed there was steel wool around the fitting. This is an old style of fitting so none of the parts at my local hardware store has a large enough size or small enough to fit. Im planning to reuse the fitting and wonder if i need to use anything else besides the steel wool to wedge the fitting back in. Thank you.

go to your hardware story and buy some lead wool
not steel wool
clean every thing out of the hub
put the fitting back in the hub it came out off
tear a handkerchief in half. roll it up like a long cigar/pencil
wrap around the clean out like a donut, push into the void between the hub and fitting
fill the void with the lead wool. using a screwdriver, pack the lead, pack pack pack
fill the void and pack it tight tight tight

Today i had to remove one of the clean out plugs from the drain coming from my toilet to remove a block. In the process, i actually removed the fitting from which the plug went into and noticed there was steel wool around the fitting. This is an old style of fitting so none of the parts at my local hardware store has a large enough size or small enough to fit. Im planning to reuse the fitting and wonder if i need to use anything else besides the steel wool to wedge the fitting back in. Thank you.
That steel wool was likely lead wool that didn't get packed.
Use oakum and save the handkerchief for your nose.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jones-Stephens-1-lb-Brown-Oakum-with-Benonite-O15-006/100181800?keyword=oakum&semanticToken=222t00000+>++st:{oakum}:st+cnn:{0:0}+cnb:{9:0}+oos:{0:1}+rt:{oakum}:rt+dln:{552637}+qu:{oakum}:qu

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-lb-Lead-Wool-B13652/202246295

Roughing-In1.jpg

Last edited:
Back