Double Sink witt AAV slow drain and backs up into other drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work with a guy that insisted on using sand as bedding and backfill. He used to tell me "I've been doing it for 40 years". No matter how much sand bedded pipe we had to replace (becuse the flow was slow and they plugged up all of the time due to sags), he still insisted on sand. Even when I showed him it was against code.

Stuff works, not optimally. Then it doesn't work.

I hate to ask a question that is off topic from the original post, but since we’ve been off topic for a while I was wondering what bedding is good to use around the pipe instead of sand. My house is built on sand and there has been issues both with the foundation sinking and pipes sagging. I got the foundation fixed, but didn’t know what to do about the piping.

AAV’s going bad won’t make one side of the sink back up into the other..

Read the original post.

This is silly, I’ve even set up the scenario a couple weeks ago and posted to the forum.

JG’s talking about glue stuck in the AAV causing this........🤣

As long as you’re not trying to drain water into a closed container, (septic tank) a fixture doesn’t need a vent to drain. It’s needs a vent to protect the trap from siphoning and from positive pressure from other fixtures draining. Please understand that an AAV is NOT a vent.

An AAV will protect against negative pressure but not positive.

A toilet works on an STrap and uses a mechanical prime for the trap via the refill tube or by design of the sTrap to self prime.

The finger over the straw of water analogy doesn’t apply because there’s no finger over the sink when it’s draining.

Atmospheric pressure is above the water and gravity is acting on the water.

Any questions ?

Last edited:
Altho I think 2 wax is a hack, i have to agree with him on this one
the job of a vent is to protect the trap seal. PERIOD. a far as the crazy analogy of the straw and water
that does not apply in this scenario. A piping system is designed to have air at the top of the pipe and water at the bottom
If you have a man hole cover 500' away the terlet will flush with or without a vent

that said. your sink has an obstruction. Typically in kitchen sinks it is due to grease or food build up
here is a diy pour a quarter gallon of bleach in the sink and go to bed. let the bleach react with the grease
tomorrow morning the drain should be draining. if it is still slow. run enough water till it backs up and pour another quarter gallon in.
If you are on a septic tank, I suggest you shock the tank after doing this

Of course they will. You don't need any vents to drain. If you look I said it changes the dynamics. It's pretty easy to think about. I don't know how you could argue different. Without vents traps siphon. Water slows. Things plug. If you suddenly introduce air to a system that's pulled a vacuum things go where they shouldn't. Either your not reading carefully or hazing the argument. Which seems to be common for you.

I suggest you go watch this video.

The video is of a home inspector that fills up a double bowl kitchen sink and puls the stoppers.

It’s drains in just a few seconds like a CHAMP then proceeds to siphon.

Watch the video before you post.

https://www.structuretech.com/blog/a-primer-on-s-traps
Here is another video of an S trap draining perfect. Of course it siphons !

Last edited:
Altho I think 2 wax is a hack, i have to agree with him on this one
the job of a vent is to protect the trap seal. PERIOD. a far as the crazy analogy of the straw and water
that does not apply in this scenario. A piping system is designed to have air at the top of the pipe and water at the bottom
If you have a man hole cover 500' away the terlet will flush with or without a vent

that said. your sink has an obstruction. Typically in kitchen sinks it is due to grease or food build up
here is a diy pour a quarter gallon of bleach in the sink and go to bed. let the bleach react with the grease
tomorrow morning the drain should be draining. if it is still slow. run enough water till it backs up and pour another quarter gallon in.
If you are on a septic tank, I suggest you shock the tank after doing this

You can think I’m a hack but please don’t think bleach is a drain cleaning treatment for a kitchen sink.

Why not just try a plunger ? Or a drain cable like the rest of the world ?

Glad to see you Frito 👍

I hate to ask a question that is off topic from the original post, but since we’ve been off topic for a while I was wondering what bedding is good to use around the pipe instead of sand. My house is built on sand and there has been issues both with the foundation sinking and pipes sagging. I got the foundation fixed, but didn’t know what to do about the piping.

The best is 1"clean limestone. But there are considerations with it. Water will flow freely through it you need a plan for groundwater to run.

AAV’s going bad won’t make one side of the sink back up into the other..

Read the original post.

This is silly, I’ve even set up the scenario a couple weeks ago and posted to the forum.

JG’s talking about glue stuck in the AAV causing this........🤣

Not what I said. Remember read carefully. I said clean all of the parts. He said the plumber piped it and it never worked properly.

You don't know what kind of system this guy has. Or how it's piped. Or what all is plugged or obstructed. The checking the aav was in ADDITION to cleaning. Aav do just what you guys say. Admit air. They don't expel air (if they are working that is), did anyone see the post where the guy could drain or stop his sink by covering a vent?

I don't know why anyone got the impression trap seal loss wasn't the job of the aav. But vents in general are not only for that. That's why you can't design a whole system with only aav's

For some reason you guys are assuming everything in these systems are set up properly and the aav is doing what they are designed to do. I don't know why anyone would assume that.

They do if they don't admit air. It really depends a lot on piping, but they can. I don't really know why you think you know things when you're wrong alot. Lol

What ? You think STraps drain if they don’t admit Air ? 🤣🤣. When do S traps admit air ? Yep, when the siphon. 🤣

Not what I said. Remember read carefully. I said clean all of the parts. He said the plumber piped it and it never worked properly.

You don't know what kind of system this guy has. Or how it's piped. Or what all is plugged or obstructed. The checking

For some reason you guys are assuming everything in these systems are set up properly and the aav is doing what they are designed to do. I don't know why anyone would assume that.

You assume the info from people who have no idea about plumbing is correct.

AAVs don’t stop a drain from draining. It protects the trap.

Gravity and atmospheric pressure allows the drain to flow.

There are plenty of things that are possible, but that’s not proper problem solving. You start with the most likely cause.

An AAV that has glue in it won’t cause the OP’s problem.

I hope you’re having a wonderful Easter.

I'm at the hardware store spending money for my new house.

I guess you don't read too good.

I'm at the hardware store spending money for my new house.

I guess you don't read too good.

So you can’t have a happy Easter at the hardware store buying things for your new house ?

I think you might have a problem.....

Back