Domestic hotwater from oil furnace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger2561

Reaction score
Hi all - It's Sunday and there are times when I sit around thinking of the things that make me go Hmmmm. This is one of them. I have an oil furnace that heats my home as well as my potable hot water. How does the furnace know when to turn on to heat my potable hot water and not the water that heats my house? And, how does it heat the potable hot water? Is there separate coil for this? Thanks - Roger

If there is no tank then it heats with a tankless coil. The way it works is there is a copper coil submerged in the boiler water. It's one of the most expensive ways to make domestic hot water. You would be far better off with an indirect heater connected to your boiler.
http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.html

John

Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering if the water that the coil sits in is the same water that is circulated through the baseboards to heat the house? Roger

Yes it is Roger. That water temperature will vary depending on if there is a call for heat or not. When there is a call for heat the water temperature in the boiler will be higher.

John

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it. Now I know. Roger

Back