Does this Anode Rod look normal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbloco

Reaction score
I've seen an anode rod that was down to the wire, with no more sacrificial material left. So I was surprised when I inspected the rod in our heater and it looks exactly like it did when I looked at it 2 years ago (photo). I didn't know it would look so ragged, either, looking sort of barnacled and flaky. Is this normal?

Could it be the expensive water treatment stuff the water runs through means the water isn't as reactive as it might be?

Thinking I should swap it out for a new one. Thoughts?

Ron

Attachments

• 20210820_170149.jpg
    20210820_170149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I pulled one of my rods after about 4 years up here in N. CA and it too had no loss of material but also had mineral build up. I'd say leave it.

I pull mine once per year measure the diameter in various places. Changes are very small year-to-year- perhaps 1/16". (Detroit city water)

The hard, white deposits are magnesium oxide (Mg O). They are the normal by-product when the magnesium (rod) reacts with the minerals, usually lime, in the water. I think sodium in the water can also cause Mg O.

I'm no expert, but that rod looks like it has many years left.

Paul

Back