Does a hot water heater that is connected to a town water system with a tower water tank have to...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeto

Reaction score
Does a home hot water heater/tank that is connected to a town water system with a tower water tank have to work harder in the winter time versus a home system that is connected to a well because in the winter the water coming into the house from the town water system will be colder versus water coming into the house from a well?

Since I have connected to the town water system my hot water does not seem to recover as quickly.

Thank you,
yeto

Makes sense, yes.

But usually only a small portion of town water would be pumped into the tower, most would still be underground.

So I would expect only a small difference.

The water tower acts like the well pressure tank on a home system.

Does a home hot water heater/tank that is connected to a town water system with a tower water tank have to work harder in the winter time versus a home system that is connected to a well because in the winter the water coming into the house from the town water system will be colder versus water coming into the house from a well?

Since I have connected to the town water system my hot water does not seem to recover as quickly.

Thank you,
yeto

I wouldn't think it should make a noticeable difference, if it's an electric heater I would check the elements.

If your town water comes from surface water like a lake, river, or reservoir, you will definitely get colder water in winter.
Assuming you are in a cold climate.

For example, I live near Chicago, and most towns around here now get their water from Lake Michigan, but we used to have local wells owned by the towns.

Many people experienced freezing pipes in winter as they switched to lake water, because it was colder, and we have had to change procedures to keep pipes warm at temperatures that used to be no problem before.

Latest posts

Back