Do I need an Air Admittance Valuve (god i hope not)...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababoris

Reaction score
We recently replaced made a few upgrades in our kitchen. As a result we had new sink, garbage disposal, faucet and dishwasher plumbed together under the sink into a single drain. What appears to be happening is lack of air flow to allow the water to properly and quickly to drain out. If you run the water for say a minute, the water starts to slowly backup. It drains eventually but doesn't seem to drank as quickly as it should. Doing some research, I cam across these AAVs that allow air to come into the drain when water is draining out. Do I need to install one or is there another way to perhaps adjust our pipes to facilitate more air flow into the drain? I purchased a FraJon AAV but I really don't want to tear out my PVC pipes and replace them to accommodate the installations of this AAV.

Thanks in advance. Picks of what we have going on:

what is in that wall? ''

i doubt you need an aav, i suspect you have a vent in the wall.

look in their. or go outside, lok directly above e kitchen, an see a vent

i suspect you have grease build up in your drain, need a sewr machine or call a plumber

Yes, that is the area I was referring to. Also, it seems like an overkill on the drain lines under the sink. Maybe a pic farther away so we could see the entire drain lines?

Simply a partially clogged drain. Snake the drain line in the wall and you will be set. NEVER EVER USE THE TOXIC DRAIN CLEANER YOU HAVE STORED UNDER YOUR SINK.

Yes, it is that simple. If that does not work, you did not clear the line, it is still clogged by grease and/or food build-up. Venting does not cause slow drains. So return the AAV.

Yesterday I removed the u shaped piece just past the disposal and snaked the drain from under the sink as far as I could. I also opened a drain outside on the other side of the kitchen wall and drained a bunch of gunk out. We then ran water and it seemed to drain will out into my driveway from the open hole where i removed the drain nut (sorry dont recall what its called). So I feel like I cleared the drain as far as I can tell

I think you nailed it. I went back to the outside trap under the sink and really went at it with a snake and also showing my garden house down about 15' and really giving the pipe a good cleaning. a good amount of gunk flushed out and water seems to be flowing normally. Thanks everyone helping me out.

Simply a partially clogged drain. Snake the drain line in the wall and you will be set. NEVER EVER USE THE TOXIC DRAIN CLEANER YOU HAVE STORED UNDER YOUR SINK.

Yes, it is that simple. If that does not work, you did not clear the line, it is still clogged by grease and/or food build-up. Venting does not cause slow drains. So return the AAV.

Back