DIY hook up water to utility sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justjudy63

Reaction score
I could really use some advice. I've attached a photo of my laundry hook up. The 1/2" SS lines go to the washer. I want to hook up water to my new utility sink without cutting pipe (I cannot solder.) The utility sink also needs 1/2" fitting.

A "Y" fitting seemed obvious, but only found 3/4" for garden hoses. I looked at the Shark Bite fittings, thinking they would be easiest to connect but was confused by too much unfamiliar terminology.

I would so appreciate a simple, plain English suggestion for a novice like me to connect to a utility sink. Thank you in advance!

IMG_20171104_155830.jpg

Unthread the valves out. Spin a 1/2" brass nipple in its place, then a 1/2 brass female tee. Spin your valves into the other end of the tee, then a 1/2" male x pex adapter in the branch. Pick yourself up a pex crimping tool and some pipe/fittings and fun them where you need to go. No soldering required.

Got it hooked up! Your advice really helped, because I kept trying to figure out how to hook it FROM the current valve. It had not occurred to me to insert the tee behind the valve. Made all the difference, and works great. Thanks!

Back