DIY Drain for Dehumidifier

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannydaw

Reaction score
My dehumidifier does not have a built-in drain hose fitting for continuous draining. I plan to create one by drilling a hole in the bottom (or side) of the water basin. I'd like advice on what type of fitting/adapter/part would help in ultimately attaching a hose. Is there is a product similar to a beverage cooler's drain plug assembly that would do the job? Maybe it is 2 parts. One part that butts up to the hole on the inside and another part that butts up to the outside hole. They'd connect via a thread and when tightened together would create a water-tight seal?

Whatever you recommend does not need to be the width of a standard garden hose. It can be smaller. The threading on the outside would accept a hose or even could be barbed where a smaller piece of plastic tubing could fit over. I've attached a picture of a drain pipe assembly for a cooler but this is not threaded all the way up so I don't think it would tighten enough around a slim basin wall. Thanks!

Attachments

• drain plug.jpg
    drain plug.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
You can find such an adaptor off the shelf.

Whatever you get, make sure the exterior end has a male hose thread fitting.

They make fittings like you need for rain barrels, start looking there.

Or search “DIY rain barrel” and you will see that type of drain fitting listed.

FYI a drain fitting with a rubber gasket on the inside AND the outside of your holding tank will be less likely to leak.

Last edited:
You guys absolutely rock. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

If you don’t find it at a big box or online, a garden center will have it, they often sell rain barrels.

Back