Diverter tub spout set screw moved?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grubhead

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me identify the issue with removing this Kohler tub spout.

I saw a notch underneath, close to the wall, but did not feel it see a set screw so I assumed it was threaded. However, when I went to unscrew the spout it just kept spinning and did not appear to be unscrewing at all (still tight against the wall).

Is there some other type of slip on spout or could the set screw have moved?

The metal ring and plastic I see inside moves when I spin the spout and I tried using a screwdriver to see if it would spin freely from the rest of the spout, but it doesn't.

There is also a smaller hole near the end just before the diverter where I thought a set screw might be, but no luck.

I'm assuming I'm supposed to be seeing something like this: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/tub-spout-example-slip-on-with-set-screw.jpg

Any ideas?

I would rather not have to, but if your suggestion is to cut it off, where is the best place to do so?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I decided to cut the spout off and sure enough found that the set screw was offset and ruined the pipe as I attempted to unscrew. I dislike plumbing...

IMG_2502.JPG

So, now what would be the best way to repair and/or replace without having to remove the whole shower?

I've never soldered copper, so if there's slip on fitting that could work it would be great.

Of all the things I've worked with owning a home, plumbing has been the worst. :(

Thanks for your help!

After looking at the old one...it WAS supposed to unscrew! There was no way to access the set screw near the wall without unscrewing it first (the threads were near the other end). What a pain!

I will have enough to use a new one without the fancy spacer. I filed down the raised damaged part and it feels quite solid still.

Latest posts

Back