disinfecting a water storage tank and supply system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumb_bob_square_pants

Reaction score
Hey all.
I was hoping that maybe I could glean a little of the vast amount of experience and knowledge that is contained here.
OK, here's a background, I will try to keep short and to the point, here goes.
I found some mold in the house I'm renting in the closet behind our tub where the tub faucet had been leaking for a while. Fixed the leak and then found out that my wife and son are very allergic to mold. We moved out into an RV behind our house until I can remediate the mold correctly so maybe we can eventually move back in. While we were in the RV the wife became pregnant, and now when she goes back into the house she gets sick because she says it smells moldy and musky, but... its the strongest in the kitchen. Me and the kids cant smell it so I have been stumped on what is causing it. I was in the basement a week or so ago and had the thought to lift the lid on our storage tank and smell it and whoa, it smelled not just musky but very mold / algae like, that's the best way i can describe it. So here is what I'm hoping to do (and hopping that the odor is coming from the water and this will fix the problem).
I want to clean and disinfect the tank and plumbing. I'm sure I am going to need to scrub the sides and bottom of the tank and also disinfect the piping in the rest of the house when I disinfect the tank. I'm not entirely sure the right way to go about this but I have some ideas, so I was hoping for advice.
About the system...
We have a storage tank in our basement that is fed by gravity from a spring about a 1/8 of a mile away. There are several family's on this spring. We have a 350 gallon storage tank that has a float on it that is feeding our pump and then the rest is pretty normal. We have a very high iron content in the water and it is water soluble. But if I keep the filter change at very least once a month then it keeps the water pretty rust free. I use a charcoal filter. I also have a separate inline filter after the main filter that supplies the RV. I have just recently noticed that the water is tasting bad at the RV so it is time for a new inline filter. Any advice would be great, thanks everyone.

Joshua

20170325_120413.jpg

20170325_120426.jpg

20170325_120444.jpg

20170325_120458.jpg

20170325_120508.jpg

That's we do. It's just the tank cleaning part I'm iffy on. I'll check out the link. Thanks frodo.

After the initial scrub and rinse, would you fill it up to capacity and figure the clorox by the tank capacity then cycle it to all the fixtures and let it set? This is going to be a full day project so I'm planning on saturday. Not much clearance above the tank so I was thinking a disposable sponge mop with a green scrubby attached to it.

Latest posts

Back