Dishwasher water intake

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1523

Reaction score
I'm trying to hookup a new Insignia dishwasher, and I'm not sure how I would go about connecting my water hose to the water intake, I have all the existing plumbing, I'm just confused as to what I need to use to actually connect the line to the dishwasher itself. Its only a small little tube (3/8 I believe) poking out the back, with no threads on it, I tried a universal kit with a quick connect but the tube is too small. Any ideas would be appreciated as I seem to have a hard time finding anyone knowledgeable enough to help in my local hardware stores. I've attached a pic of the back of the dishwasher.

I don't know Insignia dishwashers, but on all that I have dealt with in my rentals, there is either a "dishwasher ell" (90 degree elbow with male threads on both ends) or what I call a "hose ell" (90 degree fitting with female threads like a garden hose on one end and male threads on the other end). It seems that, in recent years, most manufacturers have gone to the hose ell. In any case, the fitting would connect to the bottom of the dishwasher and a 4 or 5 foot braided stainless flex line would connect to that fitting, and to the supply plumbing under the sink.

Have you checked the manufacturers installation instructions? Have you looked for any special hardware that may have come with the dishwasher? Many times, that hardware and paperwork are found inside the dishwasher.

I don't know Insignia dishwashers, but on all that I have dealt with in my rentals, there is either a "dishwasher ell" (90 degree elbow with male threads on both ends) or what I call a "hose ell" (90 degree fitting with female threads like a garden hose on one end and male threads on the other end). It seems that, in recent years, most manufacturers have gone to the hose ell. In any case, the fitting would connect to the bottom of the dishwasher and a 4 or 5 foot braided stainless flex line would connect to that fitting, and to the supply plumbing under the sink.

Have you checked the manufacturers installation instructions? Have you looked for any special hardware that may have come with the dishwasher? Many times, that hardware and paperwork are found inside the dishwasher.

I haven't looked in the dishwasher.. .I'm not home at the moment, I swear to god if its in there I'm the biggest idiot on the planet. Lol, I'll let you know

Ha ha!!! Trust me, you will NOT be the first person to have missed that!
I haven't looked in the dishwasher.. .I'm not home at the moment, I swear to god if its in there I'm the biggest idiot on the planet. Lol, I'll let you know

I don't have your model number, but a quick search for Insignia dishwasher installation manual, and I found this. It looks like you need a dishwasher ell as I described above, and a dishwasher flex line. In the lower end ones I buy for my rentals, those parts are not provided with the dishwasher, but are sold as a package at the orange big box

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1309624/Insignia-Ns-Dwh2bs8.html?page=18#manual

Now I can see the picture you posted, since I viewed it through the DIY site instead of through Tapatalk. I am not sure, but it looks to me like the fitting and stainless braided hose you are holding in your hand is a "sharkbite" type of fitting. If so, you would simply need to push it firmly on the pipe stub.

So unfortunately the piece in question does not come with the dishwasher, but i did find my manual and drain hose in the dishwasher, ive attached pics of the connections ive tried with no luck. (To the person who mentioned the shark bite, i did try it, but its so loose it doesnt bite) and also the manual pages that areappropriate for my problem20180909_203920.jpg 15365394431531394643284382212924.jpg 20180909_203920.jpg 20180909_203920.jpg 15365394431531394643284382212924.jpg 20180909_203920.jpg 15365394431531394643284382212924.jpg

Attachments

• 15365394989533507983010514776560.jpg
    15365394989533507983010514776560.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
So unfortunately the piece in question does not come with the dishwasher, but i did find my manual and drain hose in the dishwasher, ive attached pics of the connections ive tried with no luck. (To the person who mentioned the shark bite, i did try it, but its so loose it doesnt bite) and also the manual pages that areappropriate for my problemView attachment 18369 View attachment 18370 View attachment 18369 View attachment 18369 View attachment 18370 View attachment 18369 View attachment 18370
Sorry no idea why they posted multiple times

I don't have your model number, but a quick search for Insignia dishwasher installation manual, and I found this. It looks like you need a dishwasher ell as I described above, and a dishwasher flex line. In the lower end ones I buy for my rentals, those parts are not provided with the dishwasher, but are sold as a package at the orange big box

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1309624/Insignia-Ns-Dwh2bs8.html?page=18#manual

I did try an L, (3/8 on one side, 1/2 on the other, the nut and ferule were on the 3/8 side, but the nut and ferule were too small to slide over the tube, maybe if I try another size it'd work? The inside diameter of the hole is 3/8, the outside diameter measures 9/16

The pictures aren't showing up for me, but you said the tube pokes out the back. If it's out the back that's likely the drain hose connection. The water supply is usually underneath the dishwasher in the front.

I agree with Matt30, that’s not the water inlet

I would suggest laying the dishwasher down on its back, and taking a picture and posting it. We may then be able to help you.

The drain intake is to the right of that, both are in the back on this particular model (you can see on one of my attached manual pages that it does indeed hookup to the back) I've attached an image of the back.

Attachments

• 1536571122269500918671663784396.jpg
    1536571122269500918671663784396.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
looking at the installation manual,

you need to remove the kick plate on the front of the unit,

water_line.png
screen shot from your installation manual

you need to read your installation manual, NOT THE OWNERS MANUAL it tells you what to do
in one of your pictures the model number is view-able on the owners manual
i goggled it and read the installation manual,
it hooks up just like all the other dishwashers,
NS-DWH2BS8/NS-DWH2SS8/NS-DWR2BS8/NS-DWR2WH8/NS-DWR2SS8

Last edited:
looking at the installation manual,

you need to remove the kick plate on the front of the unit,

View attachment 18373
screen shot from your installation manual

you need to read your installation manual, NOT THE OWNERS MANUAL it tells you what to do
in one of your pictures the model number is view-able on the owners manual
i goggled it and read the installation manual,
it hooks up just like all the other dishwashers,
NS-DWH2BS8/NS-DWH2SS8/NS-DWR2BS8/NS-DWR2WH8/NS-DWR2SS8

I'll check.. But why would there be two spots for a hookup on back? And there was a user guide and an installation guide, I was indeed looking at the installation guide. Model number is Ns-DWH1ss9

Last edited:
There is a watersupply valve in the front. You are correct. I will build a small shrine in your honor, I'm still confused as to why I have two connections in the back, one is for the water drain hose, but what's the other one?

power

it is also located in the front

clamp the drain to the pipe, drill a hole in the cabinet up high
route the drain tube threw that hole
drill a hole low, route the water line and power threw that hole
as you slide the unit into the hole
pull the drain line into the cabinet, and keep the water / power from being pushed under unit

level, open door, screw unit to cabinet
hook water to valve and power to the box

step 6 instalation guide....attach drain with clamp

Last edited:
There is a watersupply valve in the front. You are correct. I will build a small shrine in your honor, I'm still confused as to why I have two connections in the back, one is for the water drain hose, but what's the other one?

step 4 electric
step 5 water
step 6 instalation guide....attach drain with clamp

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, once I found the proper hookup everything was smooth from there with no issues, dishwasher is running perfectly

Specifically you frodo, kudos to you for taking the time to help me out, and Jeff, for helping me troubleshoot early on!

Back