Dishwasher plumbing help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybird1

Reaction score
I purchased a dishwasher to replace our previous model that is 6 years old and has a biofilm inside that comes back no matter what type of detergent we use, how we clean it, etc. Prior to installing the new dishwasher, I wanted to check and make sure the plumbing set up is correct as the directions recommend draining to a garbage disposal. Our dishwasher is not located adjacent to our sink (one cabinet in between) and thus the water line, electric, and drain come up through floor from the basement (see photo). The dishwasher has its own water shut off valve and drain. Our home was built in 2014. We haven’t had any drainage problems with the current dishwasher, just want to make sure that the funk it grows isn’t somehow coming from it being improperly plumbed prior to installing the new one. Thank you!

Attachments

• 5DC24F7B-8784-4410-91D3-1D24598DAE1E.jpeg
    5DC24F7B-8784-4410-91D3-1D24598DAE1E.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 21
Do you use the dishwasher to dry the dishes ? Do you eat a lot of greasy food ?

What temp does your dishwasher wash the dishes ?

Well, it is certainly improperly plumbed.
The drain should be plumbed through a dishwasher air gap for bio safety reasons. That is what the plumbing code is all about.
At the very least, some jurisdictions allow a high loop before going in to a GD or a branch tailpiece on the sink.
We run through cabinets to do that all the time.
And the water supply should come from the kitchen sink for quick accessibility reasons...but that has nothing to do with your issue.

Do you use the dishwasher to dry the dishes ? Do you eat a lot of greasy food ?

What temp does your dishwasher wash the dishes ?
We rinse our dishes in the sink prior to placing in dishwasher. We don’t use it to dry the dishes. We run it at the hottest water temperature setting during the wash cycle.

We rinse our dishes in the sink prior to placing in dishwasher. We don’t use it to dry the dishes. We run it at the hottest water temperature setting during the wash cycle.
When you get the new one let it dry the dishes. It may help prevent the build up you’re getting.

I purchased a dishwasher to replace our previous model that is 6 years old and has a biofilm inside that comes back no matter what type of detergent we use, how we clean it, etc. Prior to installing the new dishwasher, I wanted to check and make sure the plumbing set up is correct as the directions recommend draining to a garbage disposal. Our dishwasher is not located adjacent to our sink (one cabinet in between) and thus the water line, electric, and drain come up through floor from the basement (see photo). The dishwasher has its own water shut off valve and drain. Our home was built in 2014. We haven’t had any drainage problems with the current dishwasher, just want to make sure that the funk it grows isn’t somehow coming from it being improperly plumbed prior to installing the new one. Thank you!
Is there a way to run the drain line to the sink without having the drain line exposed in the adjacent cabinet? The
Well, it is certainly improperly plumbed.
The drain should be plumbed through a dishwasher air gap for bio safety reasons. That is what the plumbing code is all about.
At the very least, some jurisdictions allow a high loop before going in to a GD or a branch tailpiece on the sink.
We run through cabinets to do that all the time.
And the water supply should come from the kitchen sink for quick accessibility reasons...but that has nothing to do with your issue.
Is there a way to run the drain line to the sink/garbage disposal without having the drain line exposed in the adjacent cabinet? If we did reroute the drain line would we just cap the pvc line where the drain hose currently connects? Is there a need to change if it drains properly- only water that remains is in the sump? Any insight why the plumbing would have been set up in this manner with a trap? Thanks.

Typically a dishwasher is connected under the sink to the piping there. It could be connect to the garbage disposal or a dishwasher tee connection could be installed on the right hand sink drain

Personally I would install a tee in the right hand bowl piping of the kitchen sink. Dishwashing liquid is acidic and it’ll shorten the life of the disposal. It sure doesn’t extend the life.......

Connected to the disposal it will also produce a stink if you don’t keep the disposal washed out after washing dishes. The garbage disposal acts as a strainer and catches bits of food. This starts to stink unless it’s washed out and the disposal turned on.

For this reason I would install a tee and not use the disposal dishwasher connection.

You would make the hose go to the bottom of the countertop and be secured there. Then the hose runs down to the tee you install. This is called the high loop method. It prevents the sink from backing up into the dishwasher if the kitchen sink drain becomes clogged.

You would just cap off the connection under the floor. You could cut that entire ptrap off and install a cleanout there.

I am of the understanding most, or all dishwasher mfrs advise to not rinse dishes prior to placing in the dw. Reason being, the dws are designed to utilize orts to cleanse the dishes. Check the manual.

Remove the drawer and secure the hose bending the drawer. Usually there’s enough clearance for a hose to pass. Then reinstall the drawer.

I am of the understanding most, or all dishwasher mfrs advise to not rinse dishes prior to placing in the dw. Reason being, the dws are designed to utilize orts to cleanse the dishes. Check the manual.

Oh.......so you have to have really dirty dishes for it to work. Gotcha 👍🤣

Back