Dishwasher overflowing when shut off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy

Reaction score
My dishwasher is filling with water when not even in use. Does anyone know what could be causing it? Unless i shut the water off it overflows onto my floor and under the cabinets.

th water filler valve needs replacing

make, model ? year ?

on the bottom of D/W the panel. remove it

look up under it..where the water hooks up..that is the valve.

disconnect water, unplug power from valve, 2 screws. replace it

looks like this

water valve 001.jpg

Thank you for replying Frodo. It is a Kitchenaid Gallery series, stainless inside and out, around 11 years old. I can't read the model number even with my reading glasses. I do have an extended warranty and the first time I called Sears for repair, the technician ran a cycle said it was fine and he couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. However it took two more times of it happening for me to be 100 percent certain that it was filling up when not running.

So is this a part that comes with the dishwasher that could be expected to be covered under the average warranty? When I call the guy back I don't want to get the run around again.

should be. call the idiot. then the morning/ day he is to arrive. run the washer till it leaks. before he shows up

let him kneel in the water, and get wet.

a good repairman, would have replaced the valve, to have a happy customer

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwrlocTT2sM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwrlocTT2sM[/ame]

hahahaha Thanks Frodo!!! I watched the video. You were very helpful and I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Well he came this morning and took a look. I had called ahead and asked to send the part, which he did but turns out it is for a different dishwasher tho' they have all my info. So he is coming back Friday but I have a question for you because I trust your opinion more than his. He said that if I want to use the dishwasher I can turn the water back on, use it and then turn it off and it won't overflow. What do you think? If there is any risk of it going through the ceiling into the basement and all under my counters again then I am not trying it but otherwise it would be great to have the convenience instead of carrying everything to the laundry sink.

I only see two handles, one for the hot water and one for cold. Don't think there is a dishwasher shut-off. Will that make a difference? if the inlet valve is defective and I turn the dishwasher on is it possible that it will overflow even before i get to the drying cycle and turn the water off?

water-supply400.jpg

5443197_f520.jpg

if you have ^^^^ that, you can turn off the water to the washer and still have water to your sink.

how-install-kitchen-sink-faucet-4.jpg

11853349_f520.jpg

if you have ^^^ that, whe you close valve, you will not have water at sink

Back