Dishwasher installation doesn't match manual

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbob

Reaction score
Every dishwasher installation manual I have seen talks about a high loop and/or air gap in the drain hose. I understand that. Every dishwasher installation manual also prohibits running the drain pipe up the back of the dishwasher. They insist that the drain hose go through the cabinet at the lowest point, then up to the high loop or air gap. For example, see attached from GE.

In my new house, they ran the drain hose through a hole in the top of the cabinet, just under the countertop, then down to the disposal, serving as a high loop. See attached photo. That clearly violates the instructions.
GE dishwasher installation.jpgGE Dishwasher Drain.jpg

When I complained, they said that they always do it that way.

Why do the manuals prohibit running the hose up the back of the dishwasher and across just under the countertop? Is this important or just a minor detail?

Thank you.

Most dishwashers even have the hose high looped, strapped to the side of the dishwasher. So, the high loop you put in the cabinet is just a redundancy.

Quick update: I asked GE why they require the drain pipe from the bottom. They simply sent me another copy of the installation manual. I guess they have many layers of non-technical people between consumers and technical people.

The builder refused to do anything more so until something goes wrong, I'm going to live with it.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back