difficult tub drain replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyHush

Reaction score
My tub drain was completely seized - lots of corrosion - decided to replace same, only to find it broke off leaving only the sleeve. i ended up renting an extractor - and breaking off the sleeve - and also cracking the plastic. Any chance I might get lucky here and be able to thread new drain and not leak - putty or glue? Naturally I am trying to avoid pulling the tub. I picked up a trim kit - Deco Plum Pac - with the convertible two sets of threads - 1 1/2 and 1 3/8 - do these things work? Seems pretty cheap. Rather than pull the tub, I am tempted to try and see if i can get a good seal, even with the crack in the drain pipe. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

bt drain.jpg

I hate to be negative but I don't thinks there is any way to repair that drain without getting to the bottom of the tub, sorry.

Like I tell at least a dozen people a week: Pull the tub and fix it properly. you -might- be able to get a temporary seal, but it won't last and once everything is sealed back up you likely wont notice the leak until it has done major damage. The work you do now will save you three times the work and expense down the road.

Thanks for comments - I will do it properly - pull the tub rather than go through the downstairs ceiling. That way I can replace taps as well, since no access was left in original tiling.

If you can go through the ceiling below that would probably be less costly to repair ceiling than to remove tub

It is actually easier to replace the drain with the tub in place than to build the drain and then hope you have it right when you put the tube back in.
Then you have to lift out the tub and make adjustments.

Back