Diagnosing pipe noises

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcrum87hc

Reaction score
I am not a plumber by any means, so I'm looking for some help diagnosing pipe noises. After taking a shower in our master shower first thing in the morning, I hear light noises intermittently coming from our pipes. The noise seems to be coming from below the bathroom. This goes on for about 5-10 minutes and usually culminates with a single loud bang.

We also have random single loud bangs during the night, usually when we're sitting around after dinner and not using water. I can't tell where these bangs are coming from, as I'm usually sitting in the middle of our living room. These bangs may happen 2 or 3 times a night and several nights each week. I've also noticed water sitting in ours master bath tub, which is separate from the master shower. I assume this is leaking from the tub faucet at some point, as we don't use this tub. I don't know if that's related or not.

For some general information; the pressure at the hose bib is 80psi. Our water heater was replaced about 1.5 years ago, and an expansion tank was installed at that time. All pipes are copper. My assumption is thermal expansion, but I'd like to get some other opinions. I can live with the noises, but I don't want them to develop into leaks. Thanks in advance.

Back