Desuperheater Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyshot

Reaction score
My sister has a geothermal heating system for her house along with two water heaters. heater 1 is an electric water heater that is used for storage only (no power connected to it). heater 2 is hooked up to electric.

heater 1 is connected to a loop system that appears to be circulating water through the geothermal heating system. heater 2 pulls water from heater 1.

this was put in by a non-professional who i cannot speak to.

her setup is similar to the second drawing below with one change that i dont understand. there is a tee in place that connects the cold water inlet of tank 1 to the "cold" water inlet of tank 2. so basically tank 2 is pulling water from heater 1 AND water from the primary cold from the softener.

Why did he do that???
Adam

9198d1298947474-geothermal-domestic-hot-water-scan0030.jpg

Not a clue why he did it.

If there is a valve on that extra line it was probably so he could isolate the #1 heater and feed the # 2 directly. That ( bypass ) valve would have to be normally closed.

9198d1298947474-geothermal-domestic-hot-water-scan0030.jpg

Not a clue why he did it.

If there is a valve on that extra line it was probably so he could isolate the #1 heater and feed the # 2 directly. That ( bypass ) valve would have to be normally closed.

Your drawing is correct to what im seeing with her setup. There is not a valve in that location. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Someone else mentioned the tee may be a valve of somekind to introduce cold water if the water is too hot but i dont think the geothermal can heat it that hot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back