Dented water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSoul

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a residential 50-gallon electric water heater installed today. Upon inspection I noticed a 1/2" dent along the top ~7 inches of the tank. The heater generates hot water. Should I be concerned about its useful life? Are there internal elements that could be damaged when this dent occurred?

Thanks for your opinion.

Jon

Chances are the dent is only on the outer shell and would not affect the useful life, but if it was dropped hard enough to cause this dent, what else may have been damaged?

Thanks for the prompt response. Regarding your comment about being "dropped hard enough"; is there any test I can perform to learn of its condition?

I can't think of any tests available for a layman. If a company installed the unit, give them a call and explain your concerns. They may need to replace this unit for a non-dented one.

Again, it if it functioning properly and not leaking water, chances are the heater is fine and it is only a cosmetic flaw. The outer shells are very flimsy and dent pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back