Delta Tub Spout Replaced

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
Today, my brother and I replaced my pull down diverter tub spout because it had failed and I lost pressure to the shower head. I got a new Delta RP17453 Tub Spout online. We removed the old tub spout that had failed. The tub spout comes with a brass adapter. That brass adapter was already on the copper pipe coming out of the wall. the brass adapter has an O ring at the end. We replaced the old O ring with the new one that came with the tub spout. So far so good. Now, here is my concern. The back end of the brass adapter has threads that the tub spout threads, which are either plastic or nylon, thread onto. Those threads are basically for the tub spout to screw onto. We applied Teflon tape and a little soft set pipe dope to the threads prior to screwing the new tub spout on. I see now that doing that is not really necessary. Ugghhh. My question is was putting the Teflon tape and pipe thread sealant on those threads a fatal mistake? Will doing so cause a leak? Based on what I have read, the O ring at the end of the adapter is to prevent leaks. The water comes out of the copper pipe that goes through the middle of the brass adapter. Where the tub spout screws onto the adapter does not need to be water tight.

So, my bottom line question is did we foul up the install of the new tub spout by putting Teflon tape and a little pipe sealant on the threads on the brass adapter that the tub spout screws onto??? Is that going to be an issue? I do not think so but wanted to get input from those who know way more than me.

This is a picture of the adapter in question. You can see the threads in question at the back end of the adapter.

Many thanks for reading my post.

1702864785940.png

Not likely a fatal mistake. Plastic threads are ok with teflon and dope IF the dope is certified ok for plastic. Solvent or non-plastic listed sealants can be detrimental to plastic, however, the threaded part isn't even holding water pressure, just holding the spout.

The pipe thread sealant that we used says multipurpose slow dry non-hardening lead free for plastic and metal pipes. Rectorseal slow dry soft set 5 yellow. Not recommended for ABS and CPVC.

Is there a way that this can leak other than if the O ring at the end of the adapter fails? I know that that O ring is there to prevent any water from leaking backwards.

My main concern is that if there is a leak for some reason, the water will leak backwards to the inside of the wall and I won't know that it's leaking.

Those threads just hold the spout on. There should always be a complete seal at the hole through the wall, typically silicone caulk.

First off, will the Teflon tape and pipe sealant make it hard to remove the tub spout the next time it fails, if there is a next time?

Regarding your statement "complete seal at the hole through the wall," there is caulk all the way around the outside of the downspout to prevent water entering between the tub spout and the tile but the back end of the tub spout backs up to the hole in the wall, which is 2-3" in diameter. So, if there was water flowing backward in the tub spout, assuming that is even possible, it would flow backward through the hole in the wall w/o my knowledge.

Here is a picture of what finished installation looks like. Old house...1965. Bathrooms need remodeling for sure. Totally 1965 and it shows.

The tub spout basically backs up to the hole in the wall as I stated above. Nothing there to prevent water from flowing out the back of the tub spout into the wall.

1702925634339.png

That ugly caulk is unnecessary when the nipple stub (hidden) is adequately caulked. Your caulk is in the wrongish place and gross. Start over.

That ugly caulk is unnecessary when the nipple stub (hidden) is adequately caulked. Your caulk is in the wrongish place and gross. Start over.
There is a gap there that had to be filled. Tub Spout does NOT fit flush against the wall.

Tub spout adapter is on copper pipe. I believe previous install was done by licensed plumber and outcome was the same as you see in pics I posted.

I am not familiar with nipple stub you referenced. As I stated, tub spout adapter is installed on copper pipe.

I am not willing to spend the money to make install more aesthetic because I do NOT plan to remain here much longer and house needs total remodel. However, I do appreciate your comments as a professional.

Latest posts

Back