Delta Shower Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat72

Reaction score
I have a Delta shower valve that doesn't let any water out! I mean nothing comes out at all. Water pressure is excellent (tested with cartridge removed). I tried to see if the water would flow toward the downspout by taking the cartridge out and blocking the valve body opening with the palm of my hand in order to make it a simple as possible: hot and cold come in and leave via the casing outlet towards the downspout (or shower heads if diverter pulled). Well, after a short while the pressure builds up and I can no longer hold the water in the valve body...and still nothing coming out of the downspout! Out of desperation, I even blew compressed air from the shower head pipe which I felt at the downspout but nothing come out of the valve body opening. I'll try my shop vacuum on the outlet port tomorrow...but I have little hope.
My question is: what could create such a blockage? The shower valve has been working fine since its installation about a year ago ($289 for the valve alone).
I would appreciate any advice or tip. Short of breaking the wall, taking the valve out and finishing with my sledge hammer, I don't know what else to do. Thanks

Last edited:
Have you tried taking the tubspout off and blowing compressed air through there back into the valve body? It sounds as though something is stuck in the piping to the tubspout, perhaps reverse pressure will blow it out.

I'll try that as soon as I get back on Thursday (out of town). Appreciate the help.

I have a Delta shower valve that doesn't let any water out! I mean nothing comes out at all. Water pressure is excellent (tested with cartridge removed). I tried to see if the water would flow toward the downspout by taking the cartridge out and blocking the valve body opening with the palm of my hand in order to make it a simple as possible: hot and cold come in and leave via the casing outlet towards the downspout (or shower heads if diverter pulled). Well, after a short while the pressure builds up and I can no longer hold the water in the valve body...and still nothing coming out of the downspout! Out of desperation, I even blew compressed air from the shower head pipe which I felt at the downspout but nothing come out of the valve body opening. I'll try my shop vacuum on the outlet port tomorrow...but I have little hope.
My question is: what could create such a blockage? The shower valve has been working fine since its installation about a year ago ($289 for the valve alone).
I would appreciate any advice or tip. Short of breaking the wall, taking the valve out and finishing with my sledge hammer, I don't know what else to do. Thanks

Hey
I have no knowledge about this, i suggest you to meet any nearby plumbing company.

Thanks

Regards
Jimclemmer

Hey
I have no knowledge about this, i suggest you to meet any nearby plumbing company.

Thanks

Regards
Jimclemmer

Since you have no knowledge about this and considering the fact that any plumbing company could help 100% of the people who ask for advice in this forum, I don't see why you take the time to post such a useless comment. no offense.

Have you tried taking the tubspout off and blowing compressed air through there back into the valve body? It sounds as though something is stuck in the piping to the tubspout, perhaps reverse pressure will blow it out.

Thanks Phishfood. I capped the shower head and pressurized from the tubspout. Small pieces of I don't know what flew of the valve body and so far the flow is back to normal.

Back