Decorative well cover ideas

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
My 6" well casing sticks about 16" above ground in the middle of my lawn. At first I didn't mind, but now I think I would like to dress it up a little bit.

I've been trying to think of something to build to go over it. Just something small that I can move myself for when I need to access the well. Looking for something unique/different. The wishing well idea has been done to death, and the rock/boulder cover is kind of lame. I live on a lighthouse route....so everybody around here has lighthouse ornaments on their lawn.

Anyone have any ideas? It drawing a blank! :)

The wishing well idea has been done to death, and the rock/boulder cover is kind of lame.

MWHouse.1997.31.18.S.jpg

...or... :eek:

outhouseshahada1.jpg

I thought about the out house idea, just in a smaller scale. Not to mention, probly shouldn't mix an out house and a well for obvious reasons ;) Gonna build something I can move easily when I need to pull up the pump, just not sure what!

Last edited:
A garden gnome maybe? :p

Do you have a picture of it so we can see what the area looks like? That might help to pick a design.

Gonna build something I can move easily when I need to pull up the pump, just not sure what!
Thank you Thank you. I wish homeowners that didn't know pumps had to be pulled sometimes knew that! You wouldn't believe some of the things we have had to work under, around and through to pull a pump. Not to mention Bougainvillea's, Rose Bushes, Russian Bayonets, large Oak Trees, Electric Service leads, etc.

You know, I was wondering about this. I want to put a faux (Fr) well-house over my pit-less adapter, but was going to make it so it could be broken down for easy removal.

That reminds me, a concrete pad around the adapter. Is it a good idea and should there be a material like sidewalk insulation (expansion joints) put between the pipe and crete?

We don't need/use Pitless's here in Florida, but are required to either put a 2' sq concrete slab around the casing or grout the top 5' of the casing. I have yet to figure out what earthly good either could do to make the water any better or safer.

Thank you Thank you. I wish homeowners that didn't know pumps had to be pulled sometimes knew that! You wouldn't believe some of the things we have had to work under, around and through to pull a pump. Not to mention Bougainvillea's, Rose Bushes, Russian Bayonets, large Oak Trees, Electric Service leads, etc.

Well, being a plumber myself I deal with situations like that daily ;) I certainly wouldn't do it at my own house!

Many many times we have had to destroy objects people use to hide their well casing. One particular time I recall a guy built a shed around his, and that winter his pump failed. The ceiling was so low, I couldn't stand my T-bar up to get at the pitless. So I gave him two options....cut a hole in the roof, or move the shed. "Give me 5 minutes" he says. He wrapped a big chain around the shed, and hooked it to his truck.....down comes the shed....garden tools, gas cans and miscellanious items scattered all over the lawn, along with the shed.

"Let me worry about the mess. You just get me water before my wife gets home" :D

"Let me worry about the mess. You just get me water before my wife gets home"
Smart man, he knew his priorities! If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

I think I came up with an idea.

My house is a subdivided lot on old farm land. The old barn that used to house chickens (now is a pigeon kingdom) still stands, not on my property, but I can see it.

I was thinking of making a little 2' barn, and just dress it up with a few farm animals and stuff. I haven't saw anything like that before. Thoughts?

Sounds cool to me. More creative than my garden gnome idea.

What a woman!

The silo would be pretty cool, but kind of out of place. We aren't exactly known for our grain here in Nova Scotia....it would be perfect for Saskatchewan!

What a woman!

I've woken up next to worse... :eek:

The silo would be pretty cool, but kind of out of place. We aren't exactly known for our grain here in Nova Scotia....it would be perfect for Saskatchewan!

Not a grain silo per say, but you need grain to feed the animals don't you?

(Hayloft also shown)

Red_Barn_Silo_000001.jpgab174015-4d5a-4404-b0be-75edfa4c1eaeOriginal-1.jpg

:eek:

!!!WAIT!!!

Hope I caught you...

You have to have a windmill. Ain't nobody without a windmill...

4309f103062e85e1ea2d0f17257f4cbe.jpg

:confused:

How about just a mini-windmill over the adapter? Is there an old PUTT-PUTT close by?

Oh man, the windmill is a great idea! Definitely giving me things to think about now. I could just skip the barn idea and make a small windmill. It is pretty windy where I'm at. Although making a functional windmill may be a bit above my carpentry skills, I may have to call in a favour from a buddy.

Maybe you can put the gnome under the windmill-- or sitting on one of the braces. :p

I do really like the windmill idea.

Back