Cutting hole in ??? kitchen sink material

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthomasolsen

Reaction score
Im planning on installing a new RO filter under my kitchen sink. Unfortunately, we dont have any "auxiliary" holes to add the faucet that comes with the unit.

Does anyone have any advice on cutting an extra hole in the sink? It is white, and my inclination is to believe that it is porcelain, but it does not seem to have the same hardness/rigidness as a toilet (that I know is porcelain).

What other material could it be? Does it make a difference what kind of blade/hole saw/technique I use?

Thanks!

Posting a picture would help. It sounds like you may have a cast iron sink with a porcelain or enamel coating. Try a magnet on it to see of it is iron.

Last edited:
Posting a picture would help. It sounds like you may have a cast iron sink with a baked enamel coating. Try a magnet on to see of it is iron.

It can also be a steel sink with a porcelain finish. In both cases it would be very tough not to chip the finish when drilling a hole into it. You could also replace the faucet with one that only requires one or two holes. That would give you the extra hole you need.

Posting a picture would help. It sounds like you may have a cast iron sink with a porcelain or enamel coating. Try a magnet on it to see of it is iron.

I'm pretty sure now after doing a bit of research that it is cast iron with an enamel coating...

It can also be a steel sink with a porcelain finish. In both cases it would be very tough not to chip the finish when drilling a hole into it. You could also replace the faucet with one that only requires one or two holes. That would give you the extra hole you need.

I'm really just looking for the most Economical solution at this point... The kdea of buying a new faucet doesnt seem so bad (actually) when Facing the prospect of having to purchase a carbide blade hole saw :-/

Yeah, I think that John has the most practical solution for this problem. Adding a hole to a sink post-manufacturing is not as easy as it sounds. There are a few tricks, but you you could ruin it and end up buying a new sink, dramatically adding to the cost and effort.

Back