Cut out fiberglass shower tub enclosure to find leak behind shower wall then repair.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M B

Reaction score

Have a Moen Shower cover plate model 1920 but it is not enough room to see and repair leak behind wall. What are options​

renderTimingPixel.png

The oversized Moen 1920 is not enough room to work nor get in to see where leak is back there.
It is a one piece shower tub fiberglass unit so most likely need to cut out one to two feet possibly to get a good look and repair leak. What are options after that to cover or repair cut out fiberglass section. THanks

I’d just replace the unit. Other than that you could maybe pay someone to patch the fiberglass.

Have a Moen Shower cover plate model 1920 but it is not enough room to see and repair leak behind wall. What are options​

renderTimingPixel.png

The oversized Moen 1920 is not enough room to work nor get in to see where leak is back there.
It is a one piece shower tub fiberglass unit so most likely need to cut out one to two feet possibly to get a good look and repair leak. What are options after that to cover or repair cut out fiberglass section. THanks
If you want to find a leak or look into walls for other reasons, look into buying an endoscope camera- Amazon has them for about $25. It plugs into a smart phone or laptop computer and allows you to go through a gap of about 1/4". I have two- one that came with a magnetic grabber that detaches and the smaller one that I bought more recently. Both have lights on the end with a dimmer.

Not to get off Subject, but I bought one of those to look inside my washing machine drain stack.
I could never get it to turn to go through the p trap. It's flexible / stiff enough to do it, but just won't go .
I'm wondering if there is any tricks to it ?

Not to get off Subject, but I bought one of those to look inside my washing machine drain stack.
I could never get it to turn to go through the p trap. It's flexible / stiff enough to do it, but just won't go .
I'm wondering if there is any tricks to it ?

Maybe the leading edge of the tip was catching on the pipe at the turn- if it wasn't expensive, you might be able to sand the edge so it doesn't have a sharp corner or use Super Glue (Cyanocrylate) to create a ring at the tip that can be sanded smooth. I use the type that works with an accelerator spray, but I also have some that uses UV light to cure- I got that at Ace Hardware and it was about $11. By collecting their coupons in the Ace app, adding that to what I was buying raised the total to more than $20 and the coupon discount was $7 on a purchase of $20 or more- I didn't really need it but the discount made it worth buying.

If you or someone you know ties their own flies for fishing, accelerated CNA is probably available already.

Latest posts

Back