Cut off valve behind replacement fridge.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeper

Reaction score
I live in NY and need to replace a failing fridge that is inside a cabinet. It has an ice maker that goes from under kitchen sink under floor the 10 feet or less to back of fridge. The line is copper and has a cutoff valve under sink but none behind the fridge. It’s never leaked in the nearly 20 years it’s been installed. I’m being told that code demands that the line be fastened to wall with cutoff behind new fridge or else the new refrigerator will not be hooked up. Is this true or an overly strict interpretation? What do I risk if I hook up old way.

It might be a New York thing, but I've never heard of such a requirement, and I see a problem with doing that. By attaching the tubing to the wall, there still needs to be enough "loose" tubing so that the line can be attached to the fridge while it is pulled out from the wall. If there is a requirement for a valve behind the fridge, it either has to be installed at the wall or at the fridge. In either case, the fridge has to be moved back with the valve open. The highest potential of damage to the tubing, and therefor leaking, would be when the fridge is moved.

I'd leave it like it is. Close the valve at the tubing tie-in, hook it up to fridge, then open the valve and check for leaks before you move the fridge into place, and monitor under the fridge after you move it into place.

It might be a New York thing, but I've never heard of such a requirement, and I see a problem with doing that. By attaching the tubing to the wall, there still needs to be enough "loose" tubing so that the line can be attached to the fridge while it is pulled out from the wall. If there is a requirement for a valve behind the fridge, it either has to be installed at the wall or at the fridge. In either case, the fridge has to be moved back with the valve open. The highest potential of damage to the tubing, and therefor leaking, would be when the fridge is moved.

I'd leave it like it is. Close the valve at the tubing tie-in, hook it up to fridge, then open the valve and check for leaks before you move the fridge into place, and monitor under the fridge after you move it into place.
I think maybe they are talking about is the part of the line that is the supply side that feeds the wall-mounted shutoff valve. The output side of the shut-off valve going to the reefer does have to be flexible and/or long enough to allow the ice box to be pulled out.

Probably is the installers precautionary stance...stupid but what you gonna do?
Shutoff under sink is splendid and since most of our customers have high quality filters there, it is an ideal place to source filtered fridge water...much better than the inadequate, expensive filters that fridge mfrs use.

We install cut off valves for the ice maker under the sink.

To meet the box store delivery requirements for them to hook up…..I install a needle valve stop at the 3/8” pex or copper supply coming out of the wall behind the refrigerator.

I hear you but the needle valves leak. That's why I had the saddle valve running to my humidifier replaced with a quarter turn.
I don’t use them, I just install it so the delivery people will connect.

I use the valve under the sink.

All valves eventually leak.

I was just trying to be funny; my neighbor has an antique ice box in her kitchen. I remember my grandpa's ice tongs and pick. Still have the pick. Good memories!
Funny is good! We all can tolerate a little more fun these days. My Grandfather was mayor, postmaster, dance hall proprietor, and gas station owner in his little town in south central Nebraska. As a kid, I used to enjoy hand pumping the gasoline from the tank in the ground to the glass measuring container at the top of the pump always making sure to give the customer a little bit more than the number of gallons requested. Conoco as I recall. Fond memories!

Back