curious issue with bathtub stopper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Lassiter

Reaction score
Just had my bathtub drain cleared, and it drains beautifully now, BUT, the tub didn't hold water! The bathtub trip lever and stopper wasn't working. I pulled it out, and established that the big brass stopper plug probably wasn't seating all the way down. The linkage assembly had no adjustment, so when it went in, it went in such that it didn't quite seal. I guess that wasn't a big deal before because the drain was so slow. Got a new ADJUSTABLE linkage assembly, and set it to be a bit longer than the original linkage. But the new brass plug wouldn't seat! Duh? Not even with some lube. Felt to me like it was very slightly larger than the old one. Maybe a fraction of a millimeter larger in diameter. FWIW, it also didn't have a bevel on it, which would have made seating more troublesome. Don't they make these plugs standard size??? I just replaced the new brass plug with the old one, and everything works great now. Also somewhat strange that they used to sell these linkages in a non-adjustable form.

All bath trip lever linkages are adjustable in some way during install or after.

They’re all not interchangeable, they’re all not the same size. Some are brand specific and some brands have multiple configurations. Kohler for example.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's new to me. I bought one many years ago that was NOT adjustable. Two rods jointed together. No screw, no adjustment holes. That was a mistake. At my plumbing supply store they sold me an adjustable one, but there was never any questioning about my tub brand. I should have measured the diameters, but the new one was very very slightly bigger. Fraction of a millimeter. Doesn't make much sense to have incompatible styles that are fantastically close in size.

Thanks. That's new to me. I bought one many years ago that was NOT adjustable. Two rods jointed together. No screw, no adjustment holes. That was a mistake. At my plumbing supply store they sold me an adjustable one, but there was never any questioning about my tub brand. I should have measured the diameters, but the new one was very very slightly bigger. Fraction of a millimeter. Doesn't make much sense to have incompatible styles that are fantastically close in size.
You must have purchased the linkage without the yoke. The yoke is what allows adjustment.

They’re all adjustable when you have all the parts. This allows them to be installed on bathtubs of varying dimensions.

Nope, I purchased the complete linkage many years ago. Top, and bottom, with the plug on the bottom part. Did seem odd there was no length adjustment on the linkage. Of course, there is no way to adjust the diameter of the plug! As I said, it is all now working, retrofitting the plug that fits on the bottom of the new adjustable linkage.

Nope, I purchased the complete linkage many years ago. Top, and bottom, with the plug on the bottom part. Did seem odd there was no length adjustment on the linkage. Of course, there is no way to adjust the diameter of the plug! As I said, it is all now working, retrofitting the plug that fits on the bottom of the new adjustable linkage.

You didn’t get the yoke…..the yoke is where the adjustment is.

They all have adjustment or they would have to be made for just one specific tub depth. That’s never been the case through history. If you could post a link showing otherwise then I’d stand corrected.

8F124F96-A55D-4C1B-A153-499EF44A0371.jpeg

Adjustment yoke circled in red
Linkage circled in yellow
Barrel circled in blue.

In the past it was common for the replacement linkage and barrel to be sold WITHOUT the yoke. The yoke is primarily where your adjustment is.

Terminology may be different between manufacturers.

On occasion I’ve cut the linkage down when I’ve run out of yoke adjustment.

Last edited:
Back