CSST gas tubing fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nukedaddy

Reaction score
Those who have read my postings know that I often ask about newer products that were not in use when I was still “on the tools”.
This is one.
For CSST gas tubing systems, are the various brands of fittings interchangeable? Is the tubing itself made to an ASTM standard regardless of brand?
Or must I pick a brand of tubing and match the fittings to one manufacturer?
Also… It appears to me that very few brands make tees to go on the corrugated tubing. Might that be that manufacturers chose to support an iron header just in from the meter and then “home-run” each service branch individually?
I want to add a gas range service to my home. I have a 3/4 CSST line to my furnace and a 1/2 CSST line to a gas fireplace, another 1/2 to the water heater.
I would find it easy to cut a tee into the 3/4 serving the furnace to serve the gas range, but a 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 CSST compression tee is difficult to find.
Possible, but mort complicated will be to back up to the meter area and put in another iron tee for a 3/4 home-run for the stove.
Suggestions? Opinions?

I believe those csst systems use proprietary fittings for each brand.

I’ve never used it, it’s either steel or copper for the most part in my area.

There are many factors in sizing gas pipe as you know. You’ll have to provide a lot more info before I could form an opinion on that.

I do have a CSST sizing chart if you supplied me with the BTU’s, distance and pressure you’re running.

Yes, it is beginning to look as if most if not all CSST makers never intended for systems to be sized cumulatively, starting off large sized for the sum of all loads and then reducing the main as supply branches are taken off for each device. So, I am resigned to take a 3/4 branch as near the meter as possible without any other branch “robbing” it of flow. Then make a 3/4 tubing run to the range termination in the wall with a Sioux Chief wall box and valve. That removes the need to match tube fittings and tubing as all will be newly purchased. And my 3/4” x 25’ run has plenty of capacity for the range’s 56Kbtu listed load.
Thanks, All!

That is what I described. A new 3/4” line serving the range only from the meter. A 3/4 CSST run of 25’ has over double the required capacity. Putting it in tomorrow morning. Wall box and valve already installed.
i will put in a drip leg as usual below the gascock behind the stove, just because that is how we always do, but I thought of this:
CSST has thousands of little “dips” over its length when run horizontal. Each corrugating forms a small trap pocket to catch moisture or particulates that may be in the gas. Realizing this, is a drip leg really necessary? I think no, but it may take a few generations for fuel gas codes to change!

Back