Csst gas fitting has a leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zomgos

Reaction score
I have a csst gas fitting for the water heater.
It has a very slow leak, but you can smell it and see bubbles. The csst is called wardflex. I tried tightening it farther but it didn't work. Should I open it and apply pipe dope?

That would be a start. Just make sure to shut the gas of at the shut off by the water heater first. Pending you have one. And don't pipe dope the beveled ends, just the threads.

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried putting sealant on just the treads, it didn't work. The leak wasn't on the threads, but the top part of the nut.

So I opened it again and went ahead and put thread sealant on the threads and I also put it in between the corrugations and but the compression sleeve ontop of the thread sealant. . The leak has stopped. I tried moving the csst around to simulate vibrations from the water heater's direct vent, but it didn't leak. Do you think this is a permanent fix ?

How old is it? If it was still leaking I would just replace the flex hose, which is what I'm assuming we're talking about? Pretty inexpensive. Pipe dope the threads of the new one and should be good.

I've been told numerous amounts of times to only pipe dope the threads of those and never the beveled ends. Haven't really gotten a straight answer as to why, but the dude that has told me has been plumbing for 40+ years. So I just listen.

This csst is not the 3 feet line for connecting appliances to steel pipes, as the entire gas line to the water heat is made of csst. It's original to the house, about 10 years old. The entire gas line is csst, it's about 15 feet long and attaches to the gas manifold.

This csst is not the 3 feet line for connecting appliances to steel pipes, as the entire gas line to the water heat is made of csst. It's original to the house, about 10 years old. The entire gas line is csst, it's about 15 feet long and attaches to the gas manifold.
If tightening it didn't stop the leak, my guess is that the split ring was improperly installed. I believe that the split ring is supposed to be installed on the second corrugation from the end of the CSST pipe. From memory, you put the fitting over the pipe, install the split ring as described, and then tighten the fitting. Here is a link to the split rings I am referring to. I haven't worked with CSST in a few years, so I could be mistaken on some of my details. Hopefully a real plumber will confirm or correct.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FL...for-HOME-FLEX-CSST-Fittings-11-057C/300388011

If tightening it didn't stop the leak, my guess is that the split ring was improperly installed. I believe that the split ring is supposed to be installed on the second corrugation from the end of the CSST pipe. From memory, you put the fitting over the pipe, install the split ring as described, and then tighten the fitting. Here is a link to the split rings I am referring to. I haven't worked with CSST in a few years, so I could be mistaken on some of my details. Hopefully a real plumber will confirm or correct.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FL...for-HOME-FLEX-CSST-Fittings-11-057C/300388011

Thanks for your reply bud.

Yea I checked everywhere, but this brand is called "wardflex" and tried to find a fitting to match it, can't find one. Fitting or gasket. Not sure if the fittings are cross compatible.

But I fixed the leak, not sure if temporary or not. Heres what I did:

Open fitting and ring, apply tread sealant on male treads and apply small amount on to corrugations. Press ring and seat correctly, clean excess sealant. Put corrugation back into fitting and tighten top nut only. It appears to be holding. I'm going on vacation in 2 days and I can't get a plumber out here unless it's an emergency.

So I'm just going to turn off the gas to the water heater and deal with it when I come back.

But it appears to be holding, no leaks what so ever, I checked every 30 minutes with soap and water.

I think the leak is from the bottom of the fitting as that is the part that does the sealing. If the line moves around too much, over time, I'm guessing it can scar the gasket that seals.

And my water heater uses a direct vent, with a large fan.... so I'm guessing that's what caused the scarring over time.

Thanks for your reply bud.

Yea I checked everywhere, but this brand is called "wardflex" and tried to find a fitting to match it, can't find one. Fitting or gasket. Not sure if the fittings are cross compatible.

But I fixed the leak, not sure if temporary or not. Heres what I did:

Open fitting and ring, apply tread sealant on male treads and apply small amount on to corrugations. Press ring and seat correctly, clean excess sealant. Put corrugation back into fitting and tighten top nut only. It appears to be holding. I'm going on vacation in 2 days and I can't get a plumber out here unless it's an emergency.

So I'm just going to turn off the gas to the water heater and deal with it when I come back.

But it appears to be holding, no leaks what so ever, I checked every 30 minutes with soap and water.

I think the leak is from the bottom of the fitting as that is the part that does the sealing. If the line moves around too much, over time, I'm guessing it can scar the gasket that seals.

And my water heater uses a direct vent, with a large fan.... so I'm guessing that's what caused the scarring over time.
If you want to know where to buy parts, check this site.

http://www.wardmfg.com/where-to-buy-2/

Here are their installation instructions.

http://www.wardmfg.com/assembly-instructions/

I am not an expert, but I have not heard of using dope on the corrugations. I agree that, if going on vacation, to turn the gas off before leaving.

When you cut the ward flex make sure the very end of the pipe is a clean cut and smooth. That way when you put
your ring on and tighten it up it will make a perfect flaired end.

Latest posts

Back