Cracked spigot in recent construction (pic included)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theotherklingon

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a pickle with a cracked copper pipe on an outdoor water spigot. The copper pipe that passes through the exterior wall into the basement cracked due to freezing. I've done some research for how to replace it, but most of the help assumes a copper:copper connection, rather than a PEX:copper connection.

So, I'm wondering how I might go about replacing this cracked spigot that connects to a PEX water line that was professionally installed by the builder?

I attached a photo, which shows that a fitting was soldered to the spigot, then inserted into the PEX waterline. Is there any way to fix this without having to redo the PEX/fitting connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1216051237_PLc6v-M.jpg

Not sure about your local laws in America but i would definitely get the hacksaw out and chop a good 1-2 feet out of this pipe work - taking the cracked bit with it. On the white plastic side i would then go to the merchants and get a socket/coupler for that size pipe and 2ft of the white pipe and fix it up so the white pipe meets the copper pipe raw cut end to raw cut end touching and then get the relevant adapter Cu->PEX and do it again. Make sure its clipped well and LAGGED with a good quality lagging which is something i cant see on your pipes.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I've been working on solutions and I've found that I can use a Sharkbite-brand female threaded connector and a new frost-free/anti-siphon spigot for the easiest possible fix. I got a demonstration of the Sharkbite's at my local store and was really impressed. Also, I've talked to some plumbers (on this forum and in person), and it seems that these Sharkbite connectors are recognized as being a quality product. I'm going to keep a close eye on it over the coming years, to see if they go bad/fail. If they do, I'm definitely going to redo the joint to original specs.

Latest posts

Back