cpvc movement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sox2010

Reaction score
hello all, I'm new to the forum.

Have a question for some of the pros out there. My house was built in 2007. I recently was in my basement and noticed that one of the longer cpvc runs (about 30 ft) has moved about 1.5 inch from when it was originally installed. I noticed this because the installers marked where the hanger originally was on the pipe (see pic 1866 - the pencil mark in the original, the black mark is me recently).

My concern is not so much with the movement, but where other pipes meet this pipe. Instead of a nice 90 degree angle, the adjoining pipes are being bent by the 1.5 - 2 in (see pics 1865 and 1864).

One other point, this is only on the hot water line while the pipe is cold. It expands by and inch or so when the pipe heats (which I understand is normal for cpvc). The installers did allow for expansion at the end of the run (pic 1864).

Should I be concerned about the bending in the adjoining pipes or is the cpvc flexible enough to absorb the bending?

any thoughts would be appreciated

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

One other point, when the pipe heats and expands, it expands the same way the pipe moved. In other words, the pipes in the pic are cold. When it heats up, it bends the pipes further.

and just noticed the pic numbers do not show when posted.

bottom pic shows the original marking and my current marking (pic 1866)

top pic shows the end of the run (pic 1865)

middle pic shows one of the adjoining pipes (pic 1864)

Last edited:
The only thing that I might worry about at all is the hot pipe in the middle picture. That pipe isn't bent all THAT far, and there is a decent distance before the pipe is held by the clamp on the metal bracket. But if you want a little peace of mind, you could loosen the clamp on the metal bracket, slide the pipe to the left, and retighten the clamp.

All in all, from what I can see, that is good install. I have seen MUCH worse.

But if you want a little peace of mind, you could loosen the clamp on the metal bracket, slide the pipe to the left, and retighten the clamp.

I agree. Or just rip it all out and replace it with copper

I ended up sliding the entire metal bracket back about a foot (basically the same things you guys suggested). it looks a little straighter.

Would you guys be worried at all about how the pipe has moved since installation (bottom pic)? keep in mind this pic was not taken when the pipe was cold, so the movement is not related to hot water expansion

about copper, wish i could, but water (very acidic), not to mention cost make it next to impossible

Latest posts

Back