Cpvc- how does one

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean connecting PVC line to a SPVC line?

Union? Buy one PVC one, and one CPVC one, I believe the thread on the union coupling is the same :) Otherwise you can get female threaded connectors and have a nipple in between.

OK...

I admit I am a complete idiot regarding this. What and why the differing CPVC (potable) materials/types of piping? Why SCH 40 or 80? I am trying to ascertain what type to use in a well water filtering system. I have researched and cannot find a definite answer/reason.

I see examples of SCH 80 in filtering/treatment systems and my house is plumbed with SCH 40.

THANX!

I don't know how this forum likes posting external URLs, so I'll refrain from that at the moment, but the first result in "SCH 40 vs SCH 80" came back with a good article explaining that. To summarize, the schedule means wall thickness of a PVC component, with 80 being thicker and more applicable for higher pressure systems.

When picking up pipe thickness and material, you need to know what your maximum pressure and exposed temperature is going to be, and then you check against the pipe's specs (those would be different depending on the pipe's diameter too). You pick whatever fulfills your requirements with a good enough buffer (i.e. you don't want 180psi graded pipe used in a system that has 150psi regular pressure).

Some filters may use higher pressure (RO/DI filters, for example), that's why they could pick SCH80. Your house is probably 60psi max, and doesn't get hotter than 80F, so SCH40 suffices.

You are a good man...

I shied away from SCH 40 as CHL PIPE (FLOW-GUARD) does not seem to offer SCH 40 3/4" unions. I then assumed one had to go to SCH 80.

Now. CPCV ball valves. There is one for cold water and one for hot? Do handle colors differentiate them by sight (red-blue)

Learn something every day... :D

THANX!

The two schedules that I am aware of in CPVC are CTS (Copper Tube Size) and Sch 80 (Iron Pipe Size, Heavy Wall). To transition between the two, you would use an IPS to CTS transition fitting, most commonly a coupling or a bushing. CTS is the most common in sizes 2" and below, while 2 1/2" and above are only available in Sch 80.

The two schedules that I am aware of in CPVC are CTS (Copper Tube Size) and Sch 80 (Iron Pipe Size, Heavy Wall).

To transition between the two, you would use an IPS to CTS transition fitting, most commonly a coupling or a bushing. CTS is the most common in sizes 2" and below, while 2 1/2" and above are only available in Sch 80.

4701T.jpg

Couplings - Transition

* Slip IPS x Slip CTS
* Size Range: 3/4" , 1" & 2"

THANK YOU MASKED STRANGER!

That explained it fully...

Latest posts

Back