copper tubing for dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich22

Reaction score
looking to buy copper tubing for the hot water line of a dishwasher. HD has copper coil that is labeled REFRIGERATION 3/8" od by 10' uses air conditioning, refrigeration, natural gas, liq petroleum (lp) gas, and compressed air. It doesn't mention to uses as water line. The box doesn't state the type of soft pipe "L" type. The tubing is made by Everbilt. On HD site it states this product is being discontinued but my local store has it.

Can I use this copper tubing for my dishwasher hot water line? Can it be used for a general water line?

I guess I am old school. My understanding with the SS braided line is it is a rubber hose covered with a SS mesh. So overtime it needs to be replace. When I removal my old D/W I left the copper line on it and it was hualed off. I never heard of a copper line going bad unless it comes in contact with another metal.

HD doesn't have 1/4" (3/8" outside diameter) label type "L" copper. They have a copper coil labeled "Refrigeration" as stated in my original e-mail. Can this line be used for water? Eventhough the box doesn't state it

What you want is type "L" 3/8 copper Not 1/4"
1/4" is typically used for ice maker/refrigerator lines.

I pulled up some specs on 2 types and now I perplexed.

This tube listed by Grainger to be 3/8 soft type L
It has a 1/2 OD with 0.430 ID :confused:

http://www.homedepot.-3-8-OD-in-x-20-ft-Copper-Soft-Refrigeration-Coil-Pipe-

So went out to my service truck and pulled out some 3\8 copper tubing and a compression fitting. It's labeled Refrigeration tubing. It has an O.D. of .375

here are the spec sheets for both

I would say the refer tube is what you want.

z.jpg

x.JPG

Last edited:
Okay looked a little further. Something I never realized.
FRODO is absolutely correct.

1/4" soft "L" copper is 3/8" OD same OD as 3\8 Refrigeration tube BUT the refer tube is rated for 150 degrees F max.

PS copper tube is a better choice for dishwasher lines. I have seen the results of a braided hose rupture.

Be cautious. I have seen copper tube sold by HD store in a kit for ice makers that was supper thin cheap crap for the unsuspecting DIY'r typicaly unaware.

beerchug.gif

DAMN!!!!! I just spent 15 minutes, getting a copy of mueller copper 1/4''L spec.s .

I learned that lesson the hard way. ordered out the trim for a house. ordered 3/8 tubing and it was ********* refer tubing!!!

after i went to the supply house and showed my ass, he calmly, preceded to let me know i knew not what i was talking about.

http://screencast.com/t/YxySLtET2eX

Mr David is correct, ho depoopoo has some super thin crap copper

if you buy from them, brand name you want is Mueller, accept no other

make sure the box say 1/4'' L if it aint got the "L" dont buy it

Last edited:
Thanks Mr David and Frodo for the info and advice. I brought the tubing from HD package name is Everbilt and it had no type letter beside stating Refrig. However, I believe it is manufactured by Mueller b/c the copper tubing had 2 yellow caps at the ends of the pipe which is similar to what is shown on the grainger site and Lowes site the Mueller refrig pipes. In addition, the HD had a paper label on back with the code of D 06010PS which are similar letter and numbers as on the grainger site. This line is also wrapped in clear shrink paper.

Based on HD web site this it (D 06010PS) is discontinued and it appears to be replaced by 2 other products and 1 is UT (utility type pipe). I saw UT pipe at Lowes and it was thin. Bad part at HD all 3 products have the same SKU # of 647-791 which now shows as UT pipe on their computer at the store.

I will check with lowes again (approx 20 miles away) to see if the have more of the Mueller products as shown on their website. What they had on the shelf was limited to mainly UT copper and most was made overseas. They did have a 50' roll of Mueller ref copper tubing that way more than what I need. They might keep the remaining stock locked up or something. If not, I will open the sealed box and remove the wrapping and caps off the tubing to see how thick the pipe is.

I liked your answer but wife didn't want to wait another day. As you'll stated I would watch what you are getting from HD. I believe I got refrig line type D from Mueller. But it appears they are changing thier supplier and going to utility grade copper line.

Dishwasher in. only had to do it twice. I didn't attach the drain line tighten the DW drainline the 1st time. I was worrying of over tighting the line on a plastc part. -- Old school with the copper line.

Again, thanks for the advie.

Latest posts

Back