Copper to CPVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster13

Reaction score
I had a busted pipe here in Texas during a hard freeze during Christmas. My tenant was out of time and the entire house flooded. Upon pulling cabinets and sheet rock, I discovered this copper to CPVC connection. Has anyone seen anything like this before? How do I replumb it? I want to get rid of the CPVC pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 3
Looks like it’s pushed through the copper or they used copper as a sleeve.

Either way it’s wrong.

Repipe your house. I’m not kidding.

Have a great day 👍

Looks like it’s pushed through the copper or they used copper as a sleeve.

Either way it’s wrong.

Repipe your house. I’m not kidding.

Have a great day 👍
Can I go after the builder? They are a national builder. I'm hesitant to post their name on this forum.

Dis you purchase the house new? If so, you may have a case against the builder, but I'm sure they will just point their finger at the plumbing subcontractor. And finding him/her may be harder than you think. Just cheap, shoddy work, as most home builders are guilty of.

To be clear, it is a protective copper sleeve and not an actual connection.
Nothing wrong with protection from physical damage. Nothing to 'go' after.

Caveat emptor

is a Latin phrase that translates to "let the buyer beware." It means that an individual buys at their own risk. Potential buyers are warned by the phrase to do their research and ask pointed questions of the seller. The seller isn't responsible for problems that the buyer encounters with the product after the sale.

To be clear, it is a protective copper sleeve and not an actual connection.
Nothing wrong with protection from physical damage. Nothing to 'go' after.
Would they be able to push the CPVC throughout the entire slab of the house with no joints? This is around 2400 SF slab.

Would they be able to push the CPVC throughout the entire slab of the house with no joints? This is around 2400 SF slab.
It’s the cpvc is not installed properly. Cpvc should never be sleeved with copper.

Does that mean you can make the builder or plumber make it right ? I don’t know, that’s up to the legal system to decide.

the concrete is poured AFTER the piping is placed, the copper is only used to sleeve the cpvc where it goes through the concrete.....they usually use a plastic wrap to do that, or at least that is how I have seen it done.... cpvc is NOT flexible, it is brittle, even more than PVC

They may have pushed roll cpvc up through old copper that leaked.

Either way it’s wrong. 🫶

ah, OK, I learned something, today, did not KNOW there was "roll" CPVC.....ez to tell the pro's here...!!! vs amateur DIYer me !!! yes, that makes sense, repaired leaking under slab copper, by pulling the CPVC pipe up through it......

They may have pushed roll cpvc up through old copper that leaked.

Either way it’s wrong. 🫶
The entire house is plumbed this way. If there was a leak, they would of just pushed CPVS for the broken pipe. Like Jim, I was not aware CPVS was available in rolls which would allow them to have longer runs before they can up through the slap. I originally thought they were making a connection to the copper pipe. Am I correct to say, they used rolled CPVC under the slab (possible unprotected) and just used the copper sleeve when they went through the slab? Also, is the the use of roll CPVC in the slab allowed (code)? The house was built in 2000. I'm the second owner.

Use of cpvc roll tube in a slab is ok if your local code allows it.

Sleeving cpvc with copper is never allowed. It’s an improper install.

Who in their right mind would use copper to use as a sleeve?

Back