Copper Sillcock Broke off inside Brick Wall- How to remove?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hey guys, replacing some old frost proof sillcocks simply because they are leaking/are hard to find replacement parts for/and have their handles rusted on. Basically felt it would be easier and take me less time to just replace them.

I replaced 2 out of 3 of them already, the last one is giving me some problems though. It was cemented into the house (house is brick), almost looks like it was put in during the initial construction of the home 30-35 years ago when the mortar was still wet. I already replaced one that was cemented into this house, and it wasn't a problem, just wacked the old sillcock with a hammer and got it out. This one, however, was very difficult to get out. While I was hammering both from the outside of the house and the inside of the house (moving it back and forth), it cracked a bit and part of it eventually broke off. So I just grabbed whatever tools I had around and wedged it in the hole and started hammering that in to push it in and out. It was working fine, but after some time, it seems like that copper sillcock is staying in there. It won't budge past a certain point in the brick wall and I can't get it out.

My questions are:

1) How can I correct my mistake and get this copper sillcock out of the wall so I can put a new one in? It seems like hammering is no longer working since the copper is just getting mashed up inside the wall.

2) If you suggest somehow drilling the copper out within that hole, what tools/supplies do I need to do this?

3) Should I just cement up the holes from the outside and close up the holes on the inside of the house and create a new hole to put the new sillcock through? If you think this is the best choice ,what tools will I need to create the new hole through the brick house?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Nevermind, I was able to punch it out with an old sillcock. Took a while and a ton of hits, but it finally popped out

Latest posts

Back