copper pipes have green patina

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I had a leak in a finished basement wall (from upstairs kitchen drain pipe) and the copper pipe in that wall has turned green where it was in contact with the water/soaked insulation. Should this pipe be replaced? Thanks

Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I had a leak in a finished basement wall (from upstairs kitchen drain pipe) and the copper pipe in that wall has turned green where it was in contact with the water/soaked insulation. Should this pipe be replaced? Thanks
Green is ok, flaking green Stuff isn’t.

Did the plumber mention how thick the pipe wall was when he repaired it ? Acid in foods and dishwashing detergent often eats away at copper Ksink drains. The pipe will get paper thin and split along the bottom.

I just realized I wasn't very clear. The drain pipe was ABS (black plastic) and it split from what seemed like a lot of pressure from a poor installation. The copper I was referring to are supply lines for a basement kitchen rough-in that happens to be directly below the kitchen upstairs.

Thanks for the info on the green.

Back