copper pipe tension between thermostatic and diverter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
I'm renovating my bath and our plumber placed everything in line for the rough ins securing both the thermostatic and diverter valves six inches apart to 2x4s. Now the thermostatic is out too far into the bath and needs to be pushed back a half inch. Will this cause too much tension in the pipe connection with the diverter to cause an issue or because of the copper's softness, the connection is secure?

mmmmm you should be ok as far as it is strong enough
but, what you are going to run into is when you push one valve, the other will be crooked.
so loosen the face plate on the valve you are not pushing, so it can also move
then tighten the face plates up at the same time...
if....the vale is crooked and looks like ass when finished, you will have to offset the valves using fitings

i use soft copper, in situations like this, so i get some tweek if needed

mmmmm you should be ok as far as it is strong enough
but, what you are going to run into is when you push one valve, the other will be crooked.
so loosen the face plate on the valve you are not pushing, so it can also move
then tighten the face plates up at the same time...
if....the vale is crooked and looks like ass when finished, you will have to offset the valves using fitings

i use soft copper, in situations like this, so i get some tweek if needed
Thanks Frodo. Appreciate the reply. My thoughts went to make sure I have the 90 degree valve angle with the wall on both valves but wanted to make sure the copper was going to give a bit.

.5 inches back will make the trim on the volume control look really tweaked. I thin you’ll have to “bite the bullet” and open that wall and rearrange the depth of the thermostatic valve. Does the trim on the volume control trim out ok? Better question is, who can’t use a tape measure correctly?

Ask your plumber to come back and fix it for you. If he wants to come to your house in the future for repair
work then he will come back.

Latest posts

Back