Copper Pipe Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucebdowns

Reaction score
Here is my situation: I have a 17 year old Bradford & White propane gas water heater. I am looking to replace the anode rod but I am having a problem and not sure how to go about fixing.

The rod is a "nipple" type, and screws into the hot water outlet of the heater. The copper pipe is soldered very well and I cannot "sweat" the solder off. I am assuming that my only option is to cut the pipe, replace the rod, and then reattach the pipe. I do not claim to be a plumber in any way. I have never done anything like this before and do not want to screw this up.

My main question is: Is it feasible to attach a screw-able fitting to where the hot water pipe would be cut, to make it easier to remove the rod in the future? Or is there too much pressure in the system and any fitting would need to be soldered?

Is there a standard way to do this?

go to hardware store
Water-Flex 3/4 in. FIP x 3/4 in. Compression x 18 in. Steel-Flex Flexible Stainless Steel Connector

and a 3/4 x4 dielectric water heater nipple

screw the nipple into the heater. attach the flex to the nipple, attach the other end to the copper pipe using 2 TWO wrenchs
of course turn off water first, use pipe dope, wear safety glasses, steal toed boots, fire extinguisher within 25' call before you dig
work safe..blah blah blah :D

tools needed. copper cutter, 14'' pipe wrench, 12'' crescent wrench
lg can of whoopass

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back