Copper or PVC or CPVC, oh my!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJay

Moron
Reaction score
Got to repipe the hot and cold supply for "The Great Bathroom Adventure" and while I was going to replace the copper with copper, I'm not so sure.

Have found enough pinhole leaks in basement to realize it should all be replaced. But a lot of existing piping is perpendicular to joists, there are lots of short pieces sweated together.

I have done enough soldering to have the notion I know what I am doing but most of the connectors are up against the ceiling of room below and can see it would be easy to end up with a few bad connections not being able to see all around the pipe. (tho I do have a little mirror that is helpful).

Also copper is expensive. So am considering PVC for cold water and CPVC for hot. I live in Maryland, which doesn't get tremendously cold, tho copper can burst too if Pepco stops feeds us electricity for extends periods after a winter storm. (That's a big problem in the People's Republic of Montgomery County, where the tree hugging enviro sickos won't let them trim trees near power lines.)

Any comments.. or tips if I do chose the PVC route?

AJ

I myself would consider PEX long before PVC or CPVC. I also like the use of manifolds where you can select one run and shut it down if repairs are necessary. And they look really cool to boot!

I myself would consider PEX long before PVC or CPVC. I also like the use of manifolds where you can select one run and shut it down if repairs are necessary. And they look really cool to boot!

Why did I know someone would recommend that??

I guess there are a lot less connectors needed being able to bend the pipe.

What other advantages might there be, Lord Havasu??

PVC will become brittle and crack under extreme climate changes, both are fragile and will break if you step or push against them. There are too many connectors and fittings you need to glue up correctly, and the transitions to sinks are about as bad as they can get.

If you would like me to continue, both CPVC and PVC will quickly crack if exposed to freezing temperatures, and PEX (a good quality) has expansion abilities so being subject to freezing usually will not harm the PEX (but may bust the connectors), and finally I don't know of any cities local to me that allows PVC to be used for this application. CPVC is allowed in my area, but is limited to only mobile homes.

Should I continue?

Handyman would be a step down for you. You know more than most 7th year apprentices that I work with.

Aw shucks Cad. Stop! I just learn here like everyone else does, thanks to all you resident experts!

Actually you sold me on the PEX when you first mentioned it. I had initially discounted it as I thought the only way to connect it was with one of those super expensive expansion tools and didn't realize that crimping was also and option.
My "wife" (technically, a girlfriend. But after living together 7 years and buying house together, girlfriend doesn't sound right.... How about "ball n chain??" J/k honey!! ) asked if PEX causes cancer???? Hell! What doesn't cause cancer?

Okay... been reading up on PEX and have seen stuff about class action lawsuits ( Zurn&reg Pex Class Action Informational Website ) and am not sure what to believe.

The idea of the separate supply lines to each fixtures is appealing, but that certainly increases the cost, doesn't it with the extra valves and extra tubing needed.

Additionally, recently we had our water heater replaced under our home warranty. Should have done it myself because we were required to add an expansion tank and ended up spending like $350 total. Part of that cost is for building permit and now I am supposed to call the water company and arrange for the inspector to come in and make sure it was installed correctly. (Hmm... water is hot and it doesn't leak.. inspection complete)

The water is right next to where I removed the cast iron soil pipe in basement and replaced with PVC. I don't know if a permit was required for that, but I was going to drag a bookcase in front of that pipe... just in case.

But if I start running PEX and add a manifold do you think he might say something? I suspect that is enough of a change that a permit would be required. Maybe I should get the inspector in ASAP before I start to replumb the bathroom water supply pipes.

Btw, when the water heater was removed, there was so much sediment in it that they could not drain it from the valve at bottom. I think it was maybe 15 yrs old. Now I'm thinking a water softener would be a good investment. I've thought the water was especially hard and think it tastes pretty good (unlike that crap in San Diego I use to drink). WSSC (Wash. Suburban Sanitary Commission) water comes from the Potomac.

Water softners don't remove sediments, they just change the polarity of the ions.

Havasu. You are a very knowledgable craftsman.
I have also learned a few things from you as well.

Turns out using PEX in the People's Republic of Montgomery County Maryland is VERBOTEN.

Nein!!!! If you try to use it and the WSSC (Wash. Sant. Suburban Commission) discovers you will be sent to the Eastern Front!!

It's amazing how many cities prohibit the use of PEX, even though I was advised the PEX attorneys are ready to challenge any cities which disallow its use. As I was told in my own city...."We've been doing this for along time and we just don't allow these newfangled contraptions in here!"

Obviously the County commissioners in many places haven't gotten enough kickbacks from the PEX companies.

Back