converting bathroom sink drain to bathtub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nshift

Reaction score
is it possible or legal in the state of kentucky to convert a sink drain into a bathtub drain. The sink will be removed and the water lines and sink drain will be converted for a drop in style corner tub. The bathroom sink drain is 1.5 inches in diameter and comes through the wall and will need to be converted under the floor. Is this drain big enough (per kentucky code) to be used for a bathtub? And would any furthur venting be needed? There is also a toilet that i will be removing and capping off. All that will be left in this 6ftx6ft room is a corner style jacuzzi tub...thank you in advance

should the bathroom sink im taking out already be vented?

should the bathroom sink im taking out already be vented?

Yes-- if it was done properly. It *should* be vented, but its best to check to make sure.

one more stupid question - how will i know if its vented? will there be a 1/2 inch pipe going straight up to the roof from the drain pipe?

one more stupid question - how will i know if its vented? will there be a 1/2 inch pipe going straight up to the roof from the drain pipe?

It's not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing.

I am not sure what code Kentucky uses. But under IPC, 1 1/2" is sufficient for a bathtub. Yes, it will need a vent.

I know in Ohio a lot of guys aren't using 1 1/2" anymore because it will be illegal soon anyway. I don't see why it wouldn't still work for venting but I know in colder climates code says you have to increase to 3" once it breaches the roof so it doesn't frost shut. In any case, if you're working on it anyway and updating stuff, why not increase to a 2" trap? It might save you from having to unclog a bath drain someday :) Just my two mites...

Latest posts

Back