converting a 3rd level closet to laundry room

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian I

Reaction score
I am converting one of my master bedroom closets into a laundry room for a washing machine and dryer, which is next to the master bath. I have roughed in everything and just want to make sure what I did is correct per the pics below. then vent pipe is not completed but I am going to run that up through the attic. 2 questions
1. Is the drain pipe correct, it is tied into the the master bathroom sink drain which follows down to the toilet and shower.

2. I am going to put a washing machine pan with drain under the washing machine and need to know if I can put the p trap in the floor and tie into the same drain line that I ran to the master bathroom. My concern is that this drain will hopefully never get used because its there if the machine fails and the water will evaporate in the p trap eventually and could start getting the sewer gas smell. Looking for recommendations on what to do and how to do this drain.
Thanks
Brian
wash2.872

wash1.871

Washing machine drain pans are not allowed to be connected to the sanitary sewer.
If you do use a w/m drain pan, the drain must gravity drain to the outdoors.
Water hammer arrestors are required on all fast closing water supply systems, like washing machines and dishwashers.
The drain fitting is NOT CORRECT. That fitting must be a combo (aka wye/with an eighth bend). Tees are not to be used for horizontal drain connections.
Do not forget to use nail protector plates on both sides to protect all pipes.
The WM drain must be 2" but the vent can be 1-1/2"

WM drain safety pans are nice but pretty worthless. Good water supply hoses changed before their warranty expires would be money well spent.
Stainless steel braided from a well known mfr a good choice.
Sometimes the ones that come with good washing machines are fine.

thank you very much for your help..... I guess not bad for first try, pvc is not cemented just sitting there until I make sure it is correct. the 2" fix is a easy and getting the correct wye is also easy. So you are saying the drain pan is not really needed as long as the lines are good? and I need to change out all the 1-1/2 pipe to 2" to be to code? someone told me 1-1/2 would be good....

@breplum
Your statement, "The drain fitting is NOT CORRECT. That fitting must be a combo (aka wye/with an eighth bend). Tees are not to be used for horizontal drain connections." Is true but does it apply anywhere here?

EDIT: Oops...just saw it for the under floor piping.

Latest posts

Back