Controlling Indirect heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMax77

Reaction score
We just purchased a house that has baseboard boiler heat (water not steam) and an indirect water heater. It also has a central AC unit in the attic. There is only 1 thermostat in the house. We found that it has to be on the HEAT setting, fan switch on "ON" and the stat set to the highest temp to get hot water. When we turn the stat to COOL mode for the AC to work, the boiler will not operate and of course we do not get any heat or hot water. We also noticed that when in HEAT mode on the stat, the hot water we do get is ridiculously hot. I tried turning the stat that is built into the top of the water heater down to the cool setting but that had no effect.
So I believe I need 2 thermostats, one for the boiler and one for the AC but shouldn't the heat for the boiler be adjusted with the wall thermostat and the temp of the water in the indirect water heater be controlled by the stat built into the heater?
I am an electrician by trade so pulling wire and wiring stats is not a problem. I am just new to boiler systems and indirect water heaters. If someone can explain how this system is supposed to work, I can probably figure out how to wire it up. Thanks in advance,
Sean

The indirect water heater should have some type of thematic temperature control on it also check the aquastat on your boiler and make sure the temperature setting is at 180 degrees no more.

Back