Considering a water softener

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are still following, read this- http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resourc...tification/selecting-a-water-treatment-system.

It greatly simplifies the subject.

logo.gif

If you are still following, read this- http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resourc...tification/selecting-a-water-treatment-system.

It greatly simplifies the subject.

logo.gif

Ok so I had someone come and test my water and try to sell me a "reionator"

The TDS is 502 (the hardness is 17.1)

My goal is (remove chlorine and cloramines) as well as soften to remove the scale and other heavy metals etc

The reionator supposedly will do both (for just over 2k installed) seems gimmicky

I think I found a good softner online with a fleck 5600 valve for 592
Amazon ítem #WS48-56SXT

and was thinking about a whole house carbon filter to take out the chlorine / chlormines for 448 (with a fleck backwashing valve) amazon number
B004FVZHLC

Are these decent products and will they work well

I have only a 3 bedroom home 2 full baths and 2 adults 1 child

Any final thoughts as i am narrowing down the field

Last edited:
The softener you found is a good one. Fleck makes good valves. For the chlorimine, you will need a different type of carbon. Made specially for chlorimines. I'de tell you the name if I could remember it.

He did not give me one

He is protecting his possible sale by having you go through the drill with another water treatment salesman.

I can pull the city report and post it

That will be a good start. It may or may not have a complete list of contaminants. Remember, what the treatment facility posts is as a result of their testing at the facility and the water you receive at the home will most likely have more concentrated level(s} of contaminants.

When and if you decide on a carbon filter (needed in front of softener on municipal water) make sure it is rated for both chlorine and chloramines as speedbump suggested.

here is the Carbon Filter that I found on AMAZON

the other one was not the correct one says it removes, chlorine, chloramines, tastes and odors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0HD7IC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

will this plus the softner that I selected do the job? that I am looking to do?

this filter comes with a Fleck Backwashing Valve... will that keep me from having to replace the media every year? if so how long will that be able to go before the media needs to be replaced?

thanks for all the help you guys have been a great resource

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the softener has to be matched to the house. If too small it will not soften. If too large, it will not soften effectively, backwash correctly and cost extra money.

How many people are in the house?

Again, the softener has to be matched to the house. If too small it will not soften. If too large, it will not soften effectively, backwash correctly and cost extra money.

How many people are in the house?

We have 3 - 2 adults and 1 child (11)
I will see if can take the water and have it tested this weekend, and post the results

We have 3 - 2 adults and 1 child (11)

I will see if can take the water and have it tested this weekend, and post the results

You posted earlier-

He did not give me one

I can pull the city report and post it

Can you post the city report?

The salesman just gave you the values TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) as 502 and hardness at 17.1. No other values?

I don't see a need for a backwashing carbon filter. That just gives the carbon more exposure to the chemicals your trying to remove and depletes the carbon quicker. Save some money and go with an in/out head.

I don't see a need for a backwashing carbon filter. That just gives the carbon more exposure to the chemicals your trying to remove and depletes the carbon quicker. Save some money and go with an in/out head.

:eek:...hmm...

You know, I was going to run my big mouth but you are correct. The flush is performed with pre-filtered water introducing even more contaminants into the GAC.

I use both an IN-OUT IRON and GAC on my system, but my reasoning was the unwanted back-wash into the septic tank.

THANX speedbump! ;)

You made me think... and now I have a headache... :eek:

It doesn't give much to the consumer does it? It is more of a report to satisfy the EPA.

If the salesman gave you a true value of hardness as 17.1 you have soft water. All you should really need is possibly a GAC Carbon Filter. A water softener is an ion exchanger, not meant to filter.

A true definitive water test can cost up to $200.00 and then you need a certified person to analyze and recommend proper treatment.

Many of these filter companies offer free water reports. I would contact (by E-Mail) and talk with them. You can then verify systems and costs at your leisure with no pressure sales.

Do not fall for salt-free water conditioning. Ask me how I know... :eek:

Most of the water treatment companies dont have plumbing licenses.
Hire a licensed plumber and use a Clack control head.
2nd you need to know your hardness to size softener correctly.
No salt softeners dont work.
Reverse osmosis systems are great to have. There are plenty of times people get notices that certain contaminants are high.
Dont trust water company reports.
Yes ro systems do take out pretty much everything but you dont get minerals from your water it comes from the food you eat.
Hope that helps.

Most of the water treatment companies don't have plumbing licenses.

Hire a licensed plumber

True. Filter companies will insist installation by a licensed plumber to have their warranty provided.

You hire a licensed plumber for installation only, not advice unless the company is certified to sell products.

I am new to this forum
We just purchased a home in AZ
The water is some of the hardest in the country

We do have a softner loop in the garage

And I have been getting solicitors, coming by trying to sell me a system

What are the recommended systems and how much should I spend to treat the water for bathing, wash, drinking and cooking?

Are there good saltless water softener options

Seems like a lot of mis information out there?? Everyone has a gimmick or something to sell

I think I would rather buy a unit and have a local plumber install it

These company's are pretty high priced

Any thoughts

Aquasana has salt-free water softeners. My hard water and alkaline well waters have a strong hydrogen sulfide smell, which was confirmed after a water quality test.

A few days after installing this water softener, the smell of hydrogen sulfide was significantly reduced and almost eliminated. Impressive good stuff.

Latest posts

Back