Connecting Brass Shut-off to PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawren5

Reaction score
I have several shut-offs valves in my yard like the one pictured. They all have slight leaks and the valve will unscrew itself from the PVC when I try to open the faucet. What is the correct method for connecting a brass shut-off valve to a threaded PVC pipe?

Attachments

• faucet.JPG
    faucet.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 0
Finger tight and no more than 2.5 full rotations with a wrench.

Not sure how many rotations I gave it but it was cinched down pretty tight. I wonder if I damaged the PVC threads.

The use of the adapter is interesting but wouldn't there be an electrolysis issue between the copper adapter and brass shutoff?

The use of the adapter is interesting but wouldn't there be an electrolysis issue between the copper adapter and brass shutoff?
Here's some additional information on galvanic corrosion. Below is copy of a Galvanic Table. As long as the materials in use are close to each other in this table, there will not be any galvanic corrosion when they are in contact with each other.

And as brass is 66% copper anyway, it is no surprise that copper and brass are safely used together.

1683127389183.png

Thanks for the table. It's good to know that galvanic corrosion won't be an issue.

Back