Connect to unthreaded galvanized pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdestuck

Reaction score
Have to do some repair work to my niece’s basement which is a very old farm house. Basically replacing a rats nest of all sorts of piping down there with pex.

One like goes out through the wall to the barn which is 3/4 galvanized pipe. I have some good size pipe wrenches and hoping to disconnect a 90* fitting before the wall and transition to pex. Trying to preplan it all and fear not getting the pipe apart and have to cut it. Will take torches along to try heat if needed. BUT, if I have to cut it, I’d there some sort of fitting to go onto unthreaded gal pipe? Something like a fernco or something. Any ideas?

There are companies out there specifically for water mains and fittings, I connected from 1" brass, to 3/4" copper, one side had an o-ring and basically teeth that gripped the brass and on the out side the was a small nut you tightened to make the fit even tighter, the copper side was just a rubber washer and nut you tightened down it was called a FORD fitting I used it at my brother in laws house 20+ years ago his brass main was in rough shape

Back