Connect ice maker to bath water supply?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonhelmet

Reaction score
I would like to hook up the fridge ice maker to a water supply, but my kitchen is an odd configuration and the sink is a good 15 ft from the sink. Also, there is a stove and a doorway in between the fridge and sink, so a supply line for the ice maker would have to go behind the stove (where if would be exposed to warm temperatures - maybe not a big deal) and then along the bottom of the door sill, which would take a bit of work to figure out a way to cover up the line but not have it get stepped on or pinched.
The nearest water source for the ice maker is actually a bathroom through a wall behind the fridge. My thought was to run the ice maker supply line from the cold water tap of the bath, straight through the wall to the fridge. Is this a bad idea? Thanks for any advice.

FWIW, I suggest not to use the 1/4" polyethylene tubing to connect to the fridge icemaker. From my experience, I have used it 3 times and twice the lines developed a split. The splits were in the middle of the line. The pressure in the water line is 'normal' for a typical suburban house. These installs were done using the Watts brand tubing, from different big box stores.
I am sure a lot of other people have had good experiences with the tubing, but was not true in my case. YMMV.
The polyethylene lines were replaced with copper.
Good luck

I use a braided line for my ice maker line. I don't like the kinks with copper, and I have had too many pin hole leaks using polyethylene tubing.
I use 1/4” pex tubing, but some people demand copper.

Back