Confused about shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpmp64

Reaction score
I am not very DIY experienced but felt capable of cleaning the mildew off our shower drain cover. There was nothing adhering the cover other than some old looking putty or caulk and the cover already felt loose on the shower tray. I removed it and it seemed a bit different underneath than what I was expecting. Our home is around 5 years old and we have no leaks. Second floor shower.

Around the drain pipe there was a very solid plastic gasket (? I use that word because I don’t know how else to describe it). There was some loose unorganized putty that I sort of cleaned up, but nothing forming a barrier around the gasket, and the gasket could easily spin when sitting in this sort of tray around the pipe. Please see below, thanks so much. I just want to make sure nothing is messed up before I put the drain cover back on.

With the drain cover on, my concern is that it seems like water can just sit in this negative space around the drain pipe

As an aside, my plan was just to put a few dabs of silicone on the bottom of the drain cover, as I see no reason to use silicone and make a seal

Thanks everyone!

IMG_3016.jpegIMG_3017.jpegIMG_3018.jpegIMG_3019.jpegIMG_3020.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_3022.jpegIMG_3023.jpeg

The drain cover has clips/tabs that are supposed to be snug enough to hold it in place. bend them if needed, to force a tighter fit.

Latest posts

Back