Coincidental?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoo1257

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I moved into this house 5 months ago where it's WH is located in a closet with access from outside of the house. About a month and a half ago with the cold weather I wasn't getting enough hot water in the shower. Instead of turning up the burner temperature I placed a heater blanket so the burner wasn't constantly working. While doing this I also tried to flush out the sediment cuz of the rumbling noise. Since then I have noticed a steady drip from the TPV amounting to about 1 cup, rumbing noise still there (didn't flush completely I guess) but the plus is the hot water in shower has been coming out nice and hot.

Will putting a blanket on the WH cause the temperature to be unusally high? or was that TPV old and when I opened it up during a sediment flush did that valve get screwed up, that is causing this drippin?3

Thanks,

Ryoo

they often foul when they are opened after not being used in a long while, replace the TP and call it a day.

thanks. will give it a try. it shouldn't be too difficult, right? shut cold water input, drain some water, then remove copper pipe, remove tpv, and replace with new one.

finally had time to replace valve, all good, no drips of water.

Btw, how much sediment should one see coming out during a flush? I didn't see much, just what appeared to be a less than a handful of fine white powder. The WH doesn't pop or rumble when heating, but rumbles when the hot water faucet is opened, usually for the first time during the evenings, it's possible it does this in the morning but we are on the other side of the house away from the WH at that time.

When flushing a Water Heater you do not flush it from the T&P valve becasue you are taking water from the top or side of heater. You need to flush it from the drain valve at the bottom of the heater and that will get your sedament out. And then you run it till its clear. And stepping on the hose as its flushing out will help purge and recoil some sedament build up at bottom of Water heater. But it is a good thing that you tested the T&P valve and found it to be old and faulty.

When flushing a Water Heater you do not flush it from the T&P valve becasue you are taking water from the top or side of heater. You need to flush it from the drain valve at the bottom of the heater and that will get your sedament out. And then you run it till its clear. And stepping on the hose as its flushing out will help purge and recoil some sedament build up at bottom of Water heater. But it is a good thing that you tested the T&P valve and found it to be old and faulty.

yes, did flush from drain valve at the bottom of the heater not a whole lot coming out.

Drain water heater add 1 gallon of white vinegar food grade let sit for about 10-30 minutes then turn on water with drain valve open and flush the sediment let it run for about 30 mins to get all vinegar out of water tank this works great.

Ben's Plumbing
100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
(801) 850-9087 ‎
http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

Drain water heater add 1 gallon of white vinegar food grade let sit for about 10-30 minutes then turn on water with drain valve open and flush the sediment let it run for about 30 mins to get all vinegar out of water tank this works great.

Ben's Plumbing
100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
(801) 850-9087 ‎
http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

thanks for the tip. how long should it take to drain a 50 gallon tank? opening up the TPV and opening the faucet at the bottom the flow of water is really slow.

as far as flushing the heater, if it was not done from the start at least once a year dont bother, to much build up

you may need to push a small pick of some sort or small screwdriver into the valve to get the sediment out of the way to drain it sometimes they leak when your done and you can replace the valve or cap it off with a metal cap for garden hoses.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
(801) 960-1567 ‎
www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

Back