Clogging PVC irrigation line with mud

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsurow

Reaction score
Attempting to move a pop up head to another areaa ~ 2 feet away, I dug up the head, unscrewed it from the PVC pipe supply, and connected a flexible tube to redirect flow. But when it leaked, I took the flex tube off, and the hole filled with mud. When it dried out, a lot of mud had gotten into the supply, and despite leaving the flex tube off and the connection open, it only dribbles water, and the downstream popup doesn't flow either. I tried to clean it out with a bent coat hanger to no avail, and let the water flow for 30 minutes without success in clearing the clog.

THe supply line runs under a hedge and so it would be difficult to dig up the line.

Any ideas how to unclog it?

Jason

Turn the water on to it and let it run for a couple hours. Beat on the line with a hammer handle while water is flowing might help.

Anything downstream from the original issue. If any heads have mud, they will not flush out

I thought the line was still disconnected and isn’t flowing. If it’s already connected to the heads you need to cut it back apart and flush it out or take the heads off

The idea is to open up the pipe to the same diameter as when the debris went into the pipe. Then flush it out.

Latest posts

Back